Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/01/09 21:10:59 UTC

Re: CheckStyle on Gump (again)

> I have seen this error before. It is associated with using the wrong
> version of the XML API. It was a problem with the past with JDK 1.3
> and you had to supply the XML API.
>
> It does come bundled now in JDK 1.4 which is what I believe most of us
> use these days for development.
>
> Could you please confirm the versions of the JDK and ANT being used?
> Also, is this a new error, or something that has been around for a while?

Unfortunately I broke the Gump biuld that outputs the information to answer
al this easily, I'm fixing thattoday, but from this Gump, I can tell you.

http://gump.covalent.com/log/checkstyle.html
Not sure which JDK is used on Covalent, the Ant is '1.6' -- 'cos it is CVS
HEAD Ant. The XML parser is CVS HEAD of XERCES.

So, I wonder if the thing to do is remove this dependency, and let whatever
is in the JDK take over.

    <depend project="xml-xerces"/> in

http://gump.covalent.com/log/module_checkstyle.html

or, ought we request crimson?

Gumpers, can you advise [I've not run into this.]?

> I have included the Checkstyle developer mailing list on the e-mail. Do
> any of you guys out there have any ideas?

I'm also copying the Gump list, 'cos I know there are folks there who are
savvy about such matters.

regards,

Adam

Re: CheckStyle on Gump (again)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> http://gump.covalent.com/log/checkstyle.html Not sure which JDK is
> used on Covalent, the Ant is '1.6' -- 'cos it is CVS HEAD Ant.

Which means, it is 1.7alpha.  Not too different from 1.6, but
different. 8-)

> The XML parser is CVS HEAD of XERCES.
>
> So, I wonder if the thing to do is remove this dependency, and let
> whatever is in the JDK take over.
>
>     <depend project="xml-xerces"/> in
>
> http://gump.covalent.com/log/module_checkstyle.html
>
> or, ought we request crimson?

Both should work, as should explicitly requesting JAXP:

  <depend project="jaxp" id="parser"/>

But I'm not sure whether this is going to help, as DefaultHandler's
resolveEntity method is supposed to throw IOException according to my
JDK 1.4.1 javadocs.

Cheers

        Stefan