Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Aaron Turner <sy...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/31 21:03:38 UTC

svn: Checksum mismatch while updating

I keep on getting this error:

svn: Checksum mismatch while updating 'interfaces.lookup'; expected:
'2c21f93c8639901a28056a507aa54deb', actual:
'97c86da543f396d636e960e46dec7280'

on the same file over and over again.  I've blown away my working copy
of the repo and re-checked out and the problem goes away for a while
and then returns.

Trying to understand two things:

1. What causes this and how I can prevent it from happening in the future?

2. Is there an easier way then blowing away my WC and re-checking out to fix it?

Thanks!

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic

Re: svn: Checksum mismatch while updating

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/31 Aaron Turner <sy...@gmail.com>:
> I keep on getting this error:
>
> svn: Checksum mismatch while updating 'interfaces.lookup'; expected:
> '2c21f93c8639901a28056a507aa54deb', actual:
> '97c86da543f396d636e960e46dec7280'
>
> on the same file over and over again.  I've blown away my working copy
> of the repo and re-checked out and the problem goes away for a while
> and then returns.
>
> Trying to understand two things:
>
> 1. What causes this and how I can prevent it from happening in the future?
>
> 2. Is there an easier way then blowing away my WC and re-checking out to fix it?

1. One well-known (broken) scenario when checksum mismatch error can occur is:

when there is a pre-commit hook on the server that modifies the data.
(Whatever is changed by the hook cannot be propagated back to the
client that makes the commit).

That is the reason why one should not change data in a pre-commit hook.

2. Another known cause is if something modifies "pristine" copies of
files on your system (the *.svn-base files inside of ".svn"
directory).

In that case the pristine files will not match the data stored at
server. That is exactly the error that checksum check is designed to
catch.

3. I do not see anything remarkable in changelog for later versions of
1.6.x [1],
albeit the following one fixed in 1.6.17:

* fix datastream corruption during resumed transfer in ra_serf (r1154733)

What HTTP library you are using in your configuration? Neon or serf?

Neon is the default one in 1.6.x. Subversion is usually built with
both (as displayed in its "svn --version" output).

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/branches/1.6.x/CHANGES?view=markup

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: svn: Checksum mismatch while updating

Posted by Aaron Turner <sy...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jeyanthan <je...@collab.net> wrote:

> On Friday 01 June 2012 12:33 AM, Aaron Turner wrote:
>>
>> I keep on getting this error:
>>
>> svn: Checksum mismatch while updating 'interfaces.lookup'; expected:
>> '2c21f93c8639901a28056a507aa54deb', actual:
>> '97c86da543f396d636e960e46dec7280'
>>
>> on the same file over and over again.  I've blown away my working copy
>> of the repo and re-checked out and the problem goes away for a while
>> and then returns.
>>
>> Trying to understand two things:
>>
>> 1. What causes this and how I can prevent it from happening in the future?
>>
>> 2. Is there an easier way then blowing away my WC and re-checking out to
>> fix it?
>

> I am hoping your repository is being served via https:// protocol.
>
> I remember coming across this issue when mod_pagespeed module is enabled in
> apache configuration.
>
> Visit
> http://subversion.open.collab.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=3&viewType=browseAll&dsMessageId=450591
>
> Though it affects only html files to the best my knowledge, I think it's
> worth checking it.

We are using https://

do not have pagespeed module installed.   SVN server config hasn't
changed in probably a year.  Come to think of it though, we started
having problems after we rebuilt the client side and changed svn
client versions (currently 1.6.13).  I *think* the old version was
1.6.11

The only other relevant bit of information is that the file in
question is updated from the repo every 5 minutes.  The file checked
out doesn't ever seem corrupted and is a plain text file.

Posted by Jeyanthan <je...@collab.net>.
On Friday 01 June 2012 12:33 AM, Aaron Turner wrote:
> I keep on getting this error:
>
> svn: Checksum mismatch while updating 'interfaces.lookup'; expected:
> '2c21f93c8639901a28056a507aa54deb', actual:
> '97c86da543f396d636e960e46dec7280'
>
> on the same file over and over again.  I've blown away my working copy
> of the repo and re-checked out and the problem goes away for a while
> and then returns.
>
> Trying to understand two things:
>
> 1. What causes this and how I can prevent it from happening in the future?
>
> 2. Is there an easier way then blowing away my WC and re-checking out to fix it?

I am hoping your repository is being served via https:// protocol.

I remember coming across this issue when mod_pagespeed module is enabled
in apache configuration.

Visit
http://subversion.open.collab.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=3&viewType=browseAll&dsMessageId=450591

Though it affects only html files to the best my knowledge, I think it's
worth checking it.

Jeyanthan