Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christoph Rooms <ch...@pandora.be> on 2001/08/03 16:37:51 UTC

Tomcat 4 and Apache

Hi,

I just installed Tomcat 4b6.

How is the integration between Apache en Tomcat 4. I have the feeling Apache
is already build in Tomcat 4. (Because when I start up the server he show's
the  tomcat standalone, and the tomcat apache ...

So ...

1. Is it still possible / necesarry to use Apache seperate as Web Server ?

2. If I'm hosting multiple sites, can I put my dynamic java sites, next to
100% static sites under tomcat 4. So I have less administration work ?

Thanks ! :)

Christoph

Re: Tomcat 4 and Apache

Posted by Matt Barre <mb...@digiterra.com>.
To add to this question, I've noticed a little discussion about the performance of Tomcat
4. I am in the process of setting up a small hosting business for my web design business.
I'm debating between using apache + tomcat and just tomcat4 by itself. Tomcat 4b6 since to
be extremely good performance for both jsp/servlet and http/static serving. I don't
anticipate loads of over 10 simultaneous requests. I'd like to go with something that will
be stable and easy to upgrade for the longterm. Has anyone on the list used
tomcat-standalone in such an enviroment?

that lets apache and tomcat work together...if you comment out the webapp module in
server.xml, this message will go away.

Matt