Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christian Höhle <Ch...@CHoehle.de> on 2004/07/21 14:45:33 UTC

Username with spaces?

Hi,

i have created a repository which i want to access (authenticated) through
svnserve and have configured the repository's config files like this:

svnserve.conf
-------------
[general]
anon-access = none
auth-access = write
password-db = passwd
realm = My Repository

passwd:
-------------
[users]
Mark = xyz

This configuration works fine. But now i would like to import my good old
SourceSafe repository where the user is not called Mark, but Mark Twain
(authentication with exactly that name is needed to recreate the file
history). Now passwd looks like this:

[users]
Mark Twain = xyz

Now i try
   svn list "svn://Mark Twain@localhost/repository"
and the authentication dialog starts like this
   Password for 'Mark Twain':

After typing the password, i have to type the Username again, then the
password and then both again. Afterwards, the following error occurs:
   svn: Authentication error from server: Malformed client response in
authentication

Did i miss something? Has anyone had the same problem or a solution at hand?

Thanks for your Time.

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Username with spaces?

Posted by Ben Reser <br...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:45:33 +0200, Christian Höhle
<ch...@choehle.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have created a repository which i want to access (authenticated) through
> svnserve and have configured the repository's config files like this:
>
> svnserve.conf
> -------------
> [general]
> anon-access = none
> auth-access = write
> password-db = passwd
> realm = My Repository
>
> passwd:
> -------------
> [users]
> Mark = xyz
>
> This configuration works fine. But now i would like to import my good old
> SourceSafe repository where the user is not called Mark, but Mark Twain
> (authentication with exactly that name is needed to recreate the file
> history). Now passwd looks like this:
>
> [users]
> Mark Twain = xyz
>
> Now i try
>    svn list "svn://Mark Twain@localhost/repository"
> and the authentication dialog starts like this
>    Password for 'Mark Twain':
>
> After typing the password, i have to type the Username again, then the
> password and then both again. Afterwards, the following error occurs:
>    svn: Authentication error from server: Malformed client response in
> authentication
>
> Did i miss something? Has anyone had the same problem or a solution at hand?

Bug in svnserve.  Fixed on trunk.  I presume we'll include it in 1.1.0

Re: Username with spaces?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 09:45, Christian Höhle wrote:

>    svn list "svn://Mark Twain@localhost/repository"

That's not a valid URL.  Use a %20 to represent a space:

    svn list svn://Mark%20Twain@localhost/repository