Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Garry Heaton <ga...@heaton6.freeserve.co.uk> on 2000/12/18 18:01:40 UTC

(Beginner) mod_Perl hosting scarce?

I'm considering studying mod_Perl with the O'Reilly book "Programming Apache
Modules with Perl & C" . I've heard it's the only way to run Perl at
performance speeds comparable to other popular template-based technologies
such as JSP and ASP. However, as a Perl beginner it will be a steep learning
curve for me and I heard in the last digest that mod_Perl hosting is harder
to find than JSP, ASP etc. in which case I might be wasting my time.

My projects would typically involve small business online databases. If I'm
going to have trouble finding hosts it might be best to use JSP or ASP.
What's the current situation on this one?

Garry Heaton

Re: (Beginner) mod_Perl hosting scarce?

Posted by Rod Butcher <rb...@hyena.com.au>.
Garry, I can offer you free mod_perl hosting for low volume study-related
stuff. If you go commercial I'd have to charge.
regards
rod

Posted by Philip Mak <pm...@aaanime.net>.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Garry Heaton wrote:

> My projects would typically involve small business online databases. If I'm
> going to have trouble finding hosts it might be best to use JSP or ASP.
> What's the current situation on this one?

It is true that less hosts offer mod_perl hosting due to the potential
complexity involved in it. However, they are out there, and you just need
to find one good one.

I believe aplushosting.com and cwihosting.com have mod_perl. You can try
e-mailing their tech support to confirm it. If not, try searching
http://www.ispcheck.com/ for other webhosts.

As for selection of scripting language, mod_perl is probably the most
versatile language. But as you know, it is also one of the harder ones to
learn. If you just want to do simple database sites, PHP or ASP might be a
better choice as it would probably take you less time to learn.

-Philip Mak (pmak@aaanime.net)

Re: (Beginner) mod_Perl hosting scarce?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Garry Heaton wrote:

> I'm considering studying mod_Perl with the O'Reilly book "Programming Apache
> Modules with Perl & C" . I've heard it's the only way to run Perl at
> performance speeds comparable to other popular template-based technologies
> such as JSP and ASP. However, as a Perl beginner it will be a steep learning
> curve for me and I heard in the last digest that mod_Perl hosting is harder
> to find than JSP, ASP etc. in which case I might be wasting my time.

There is a special page dedicated for ISPs giving mod_perl:
http://perl.apache.org/isp.html

I also published a special article about it:
http://apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-11-27-001-01-OS-LF-PL

If you are an ISP that provides mod_perl services and isn't listed here:
http://perl.apache.org/isp.html make sure that you tell the maintainer of
this page that you exist. Thanks!

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/