Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Ray <ra...@cisco.com> on 2018/05/22 02:31:39 UTC

Discussion: Upgrade Ignite Spark Module's Spark version to 2.3.0

Spark released its newest version 2.3.0 on Feb 28th, so I'd like to open a
discussion about whether we should upgrade Ignite Spark module to to the
latest version.
In the release notes
https://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-3-0.html, spark 2.3
introduced many useful new features and as well as many performance and
stability changes.

So in the next release, I think we should support the Spark 2.3 in Ignite
Spark module.
I already created a ticket in jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-8534, and the patch is ready
for review.

Spark 2.3 dropped support for scala 2.10
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19810, so we also need to remove
spark-2.10 module if we decide to support Spark 2.3.

Please share your input, Igniters.

Re: Discussion: Upgrade Ignite Spark Module's Spark version to 2.3.0

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Ray,

Personally, I'm fine with the proposed changes. According to Maven stats
spark-2.10 we have 12x times fewer downloads for ignite-spark-2.10 vs.
ignite-spark. So it sounds reasonable to drop the legacy Spark version in
favor of the Spark 2.3 optimizations.

--
Denis