Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sandhya E <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/01 09:58:20 UTC

datanode but not tasktracker

Hi

When the host is listed in slaves file both DataNode and TaskTracker
are started on that host. Is there a way in which we can configure a
node to be datanode and not tasktracker.

Thanks
Sandhya

Re: datanode but not tasktracker

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:58 AM, Sandhya E wrote:

> Hi
>
> When the host is listed in slaves file both DataNode and TaskTracker
> are started on that host. Is there a way in which we can configure a
> node to be datanode and not tasktracker.

If you use hadoop-daemons.sh, you can pass a host list. So do:

ssh namenode hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode
ssh jobtracker hadoop-daemon.sh start jobtracker
hadoop-daemons.sh -hosts dfs.slaves start datanode
hadoop-daemons.hs -hosts mapred.slaves start tasktracker

-- Owen

Re: datanode but not tasktracker

Posted by Sandhya E <sa...@gmail.com>.
This is just a temporary requirement for me, ideally I always use same
set of hosts for tasktrackers and datanodes.

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Sandhya,

You can specify the file to use for slaves so instead of start-all you
can start-dfs with the normal slave file and start-mapred with a
specified file on the command line.

J-D