Posted to users@jena.apache.org by fr...@voila.fr on 2011/04/14 15:55:33 UTC

LARQ: what's the plan to cope with Lucene 3.x? [RE: ARQ + Lucene]

Hello Jenarous folks,

this is my 1st experience with this list & with all things ARQ & LARQ;
I've been sticking to published releases of TDB, 0.8.9 as of this writing,
& proceeding nice & smooth so far.

It's Lucene Java I have problems with, especially contribs,
& it would be a relief if I could move away from 2.9 towards 3.1.
Unfortunately, LARQ stumbles on backwards incompatibilities in Lucene 3.1,
which prevents me from just swapping the jars for the 2.9 ones in the TDB release.
Hence the question in the header of this mail.

I've seen a similar concerned raised here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-jena-users/201103.mbox/%3CD6C1698BD2D9B342B7CE2AB63EF2C7B1019360E50F@VA3DIAXVS311.RED001.local%3E
So one month ago, the plan was to spin LARQ off into a separate module,
that would then be available dependent on Lucene 3.x;
are you still on this path? If so, what would be the the schedule?
Today, would you still give me the same advice you gave to Mr Abatzis;
to check LARQ out into dev from the SForge repository?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
    François Jurain.

  Retrouvez toutes les astuces pour être belle et mince cet été sur http://actu.voila.fr/evenementiel/beaute-minceur2011/

Re: LARQ: what's the plan to cope with Lucene 3.x? [RE: ARQ + Lucene]

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.

fr.jurain@voila.fr wrote:
> Hello Jenarous folks,
>
> this is my 1st experience with this list & with all things ARQ & LARQ;
> I've been sticking to published releases of TDB, 0.8.9 as of this writing,
> & proceeding nice & smooth so far.
>
> It's Lucene Java I have problems with, especially contribs,
> & it would be a relief if I could move away from 2.9 towards 3.1.
> Unfortunately, LARQ stumbles on backwards incompatibilities in Lucene 3.1,
> which prevents me from just swapping the jars for the 2.9 ones in the TDB release.
> Hence the question in the header of this mail.
>
> I've seen a similar concerned raised here:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-jena-users/201103.mbox/%3CD6C1698BD2D9B342B7CE2AB63EF2C7B1019360E50F@VA3DIAXVS311.RED001.local%3E
> So one month ago, the plan was to spin LARQ off into a separate module,
> that would then be available dependent on Lucene 3.x;
> are you still on this path?

Yes, definitely.

LARQ source code as a separate module is here:
https://jena.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jena/LARQ/trunk/
... and it will be migrated to the Apache SVN as soon as possible.

If you look at the pom.xml, you can see that now it depends on Lucene v3.0.3:
https://jena.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jena/LARQ/trunk/pom.xml

Have you tried to upgrade from 3.0.3 to 3.1.x?
Did you experience problems?

 > If so, what would be the the schedule?

Jena code has not been migrated to the Apache infrastructure yet
and there are external (to us) dependencies for this.
But, I would imagine we are very close to it, now.

When that happens, only minimal changes are necessary to ARQ to
use the separate LARQ module when present in the classpath.

LARQ will continue to depend on ARQ.
ARQ will not depend on LARQ (to avoid cyclic dependencies), but use it dynamically when present in the classpath.
Does this seem reasonable to you?

> Today, would you still give me the same advice you gave to Mr Abatzis;
> to check LARQ out into dev from the SForge repository?

You can find Maven artifacts here:
http://oss.talisplatform.com/content/repositories/talis-releases/org/apache/jena/larq/
http://oss.talisplatform.com/content/repositories/talis-snapshots/org/apache/jena/larq/

If you try using them, let me know if you have problems.

Paolo

Posted by Nikolaos Abatzis <Ni...@newriversystems.com>.
Paolo,

The code changes I needed to do where necessitate by the move to Lucene 3.0.3, not from the use of the Apache LARQ

for example, changed

IndexReader.isLocked(luceneDirectory)  --> IndexWriter.isLocked(LuceneDirectory),

Directory dir = new FSDirectory(lucenePath) --> dir = new SimpleFSDirectory(lucenePath),

etc.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need additional information. Thank you.

Regards,

Nikolaos Abatzis
New River Systems Corporation
1890 Preston White Drive, Suite 240