Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID> on 2021/07/21 16:06:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.2.0(-rc.1)

Hi all,

I propose we release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.2.0.

The release artifacts are available here:
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.2.0/rc.1>

PMC committers, please verify the artifacts following the steps described in our wiki, here:
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Testing-a-Source-Release>

Then let know if it works or if you encounter any issues, and vote:

+1 - release this package as 0.2.0
+0 - no opinion
-1 - do not release this package

If the vote passes, these artifacts will be released as Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.2.0.

Non-committers are also most welcome to check the package and vote (albeit non-bindingly), and your feedback would be highly appreciated.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

Kind regards,

— Gerben

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.2.0(-rc.1)

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Great. Then hereby the vote to release Apache Annotator (incubating)
0.2.0 has PASSED with 3 binding +1 votes (and no other votes) from:
- Xun Liu
- Nick Kew
- Benjamin Young

Thank you for your help. We will proceed with publishing the release and
announcement.

On behalf of the team,

— Gerben

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
hi, Benjamin

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
hi, Benjamin

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suzan Uskudarli <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Checked all aspects mentioned atTesting a source release for
incubator-annotator
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Testing-a-Source-Release>
on Ubuntu 18,04

All OK except

   - signature verification warning

   - make check, all passed except the pending cases;

    Is resistant to splitting text nodes
      - for case: 'simple'
      - for case: 'first characters'
      - for case: 'last characters'
      - for case: 'across elements'
      - for case: 'exact element contents'
      - for case: 'text inside <head>'
      - for case: 'two matches in one node'
      - for case: 'matches in multiple nodes'
      - for case: 'overlapping matches in one node'
      - for case: 'overlapping matches stretching multiple nodes'
      - for case: 'no matches'
      - for case: 'with prefix'
      - for case: 'with suffix'
      - for case: 'with prefix and suffix'
      - for case: 'with prefix and suffix, two matches'
      - for case: 'with prefix, no matches'
      - for case: 'with suffix, no matches'
      - for case: 'with suffix, no matches due to whitespace'
      - for case: 'with empty prefix and suffix'
      - for case: 'empty quote'
      - for case: 'empty quote, multiple elements'
      - for case: 'empty quote, with prefix'
      - for case: 'empty quote, with suffix'
      - for case: 'empty quote, with prefix and suffix'
      - for case: 'empty quote, no matches'

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by TB Dinesh <di...@servelots.com>.
+1

not sure i make sense of this but looks pretty on my raspberry Pi xterm :)

----------------------------|---------|----------|---------|---------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File                        | % Stmts | % Branch | % Funcs | % Lines |
Uncovered Line #s
----------------------------|---------|----------|---------|---------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All files                   |   84.18 |    79.06 |   85.26 |   86.06 |
 apache-annotator/src       |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  dom.ts                    |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  selector.ts               |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
 dom/src                    |   88.67 |    81.05 |   96.97 |    91.3 |
  css.ts                    |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
  highlight-text.ts         |   97.56 |    95.45 |     100 |     100 |
146
  index.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  normalize-range.ts        |    72.5 |    62.96 |     100 |   73.68 |
128,132-134,136,137,139,150,151,153
  owner-document.ts         |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
  text-node-chunker.ts      |    89.8 |       80 |   92.31 |   95.12 |
42,90
  to-range.ts               |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
 dom/src/range              |   68.09 |       50 |   76.92 |      65 |
  cartesian.ts              |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
  index.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  match.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
102-104,106-108,110,112-114,116,117,120,122
 dom/src/text-position      |   90.91 |       50 |     100 |   90.91 |
  describe.ts               |      80 |       50 |     100 |      80 |
68
  index.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  match.ts                  |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
 dom/src/text-quote         |   92.31 |       60 |     100 |   91.67 |
  describe.ts               |     100 |    66.67 |     100 |     100 |
71
  index.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  match.ts                  |   88.89 |       50 |     100 |    87.5 |
82
 selector/src               |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  index.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
57,60,62,63,67-69,74
  types.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
 selector/src/text          |   85.98 |    80.48 |   82.05 |    88.4 |
  chunker.ts                |      50 |     62.5 |     100 |      50 |
56,57
  code-point-seeker.ts      |   52.94 |    52.27 |   46.15 |   58.06 |
57,65,69,73,77,85,106,107,109,110,141,142,164-167,169,171-173,177,178,181,182,196,197
  describe-text-position.ts |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
  describe-text-quote.ts    |   96.25 |    88.52 |     100 |   98.63 |
233
  index.ts                  |       0 |        0 |       0 |       0 |
  match-text-position.ts    |     100 |      100 |     100 |     100 |
  match-text-quote.ts       |     100 |     97.3 |     100 |     100 |
129
  seeker.ts                 |   92.05 |       85 |     100 |   93.59 |
298,300,301,304,305
----------------------------|---------|----------|---------|---------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.2.0(-rc.1)

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
> On 8 Aug 2021, at 11:55, Gerben <ge...@treora.com> wrote:
>
> On 31/07/2021 02.00, Nick Kew wrote:
>> Since it's now the wee hours here, I'll return to this under
>> a new user tomorrow.  Bug me if I don't followup within 24 hours
>> (bugging me would've been in order when I didn't reply within 72
>> hours of your original VOTE call).
>>
> Hi Nick, sorry to have taken so long to bug you. :)

Heh.  Thanks!

I aborted my attempts on the Debian box.  I've just gone through
checking it all on the machine I've got set up with the nodejs and yarn
toolchain and had tested annot-0.1.  I had to update the toolchain, but
eventually all worked.

Download fine.  PGP signature fine once I'd found a keyserver that
would still serve me!  Build and tests fine with the right toolchain.
Administrivia look OK.

+1

One query (not a hurdle to incubating release): with nothing of interest
in NOTICE, is there a strong reason for DISCLAIMER-WIP rather than
a clean DISCLAIMER?

> We have not seen any binding votes on the incubator-general list so far; do you think we should bug others there too?

Probably - especially the other mentors.  Aren't any of the folks who
already voted here on the IPMC and hence binding?

--
Nick Kew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.2.0(-rc.1)

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 18:06:20 +0200
Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I propose we release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.2.0.
>
> The release artifacts are available here:
> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.2.0/rc.1>
>
> PMC committers, please verify the artifacts following the steps
> described in our wiki, here:
> <https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Testing-a-Source-Release>
>
> Then let know if it works or if you encounter any issues, and vote:
>
> +1 - release this package as 0.2.0
> +0 - no opinion
> -1 - do not release this package

Sorry to have taken so long to look at this.

I unexpectedly struggled to verify the signature, getting to
grips with the hobbling of public keyservers breaking my
familiar means of verifying a chain of trust!
I can feel a rant (on my blog) coming ...

Second hurdle: yarn.  This is a Debian box that hasn't had
sight of annotator before.  After installing yarn with apt,
I get nonsensical results.  A bit of googling finds an explanation
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46013544/yarn-install-command-error-no-such-file-or-directory-install
and it's not reassuring.  At the point where I
"npm install -g yarn" (comment #29)
I'm getting a bunch of javascript of uncertain provenance,
which I think on the whole I'd rather do in a sandbox.

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
On 22/07/2021 08.06, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your work on Apache Annotator!
>
>> On 21. Jul 2021, at 18:06, Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> I propose we release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.2.0.
> It would be great if you could include some convenient release notes / list of changes with the release candidate posting. This could include a proper release notes file, an except of from the issue tracker with issues tagged for this release.
>
> At least a link to the issue tracker for this release would be very convenient.
>
> Best,
>
> -- Richard

Good point, thanks for the feedback. Perhaps we could start keeping a
changelog file inside the repo. We currently do not associate particular
issues with a particular planned release, but that may be a good idea too.

Hereby still, for this release candidate, the main changes since v0.1.0:

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
On 22/07/2021 05.29, Randall Leeds wrote:
> GPG signature okay.
> Checksums okay.
> Apache Rat checks okay.
>
> Testing instructions or our Makefile need slight updates. Running `yarn
> build` and `make check` both fail initially, but succeed after running
> `yarn install`.
My bad; I was about to update the instructions, but apparently did not
complete that plan. I just added a`yarn install` before the `yarn build`.
> Should we fix these things and do an rc.2, or should we proceed?

These instructions are not part of the release itself, so this should
not require a new release candidate. We could start voting from scratch,
but well we had zero votes so far anyway. :)

Hereby my own vote, if that makes sense:

+1

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
GPG signature okay.