Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com> on 2019/05/11 02:34:00 UTC

New testing tool - fakeOrigin

Greetings all,

I’ve submitted a new PR https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/3567 .  This adds a new testing component to the Apache Traffic Control repository named fakeOrigin.  One of the challenges I’ve encountered with certain kinds of testing is that in the Apache Traffic Control world an origin is just a webserver and everything is a file.  When it comes to streaming video, an additional set of knowledge becomes relevant around transcoding and packaging to create or interpret the files under the hood.  fakeOrigin is designed to be simple to get going and facilitate some of these more advanced video subjects using any CLI tools of your choosing such as ffmpeg if you so desire.  It already comes with support for some common RFC needed to test CDN caching, HTTPS support, flexible header responses, and an optional in-memory object cache.  Additionally if you make use of an external transcoder/packager and the HLS manifest format, fakeOrigin is able to handle intercepting and rewriting of LIVE manifests on the fly to create endlessly looping playback as well as a transcoding cache to improve startup times.  I hope this is of use to other as it has been for me and am interested in seeing how it evolves with new use cases from our community.  I also want to give a special thank you to @rob05c for the assistance and collaboration in developing this.

Jonathan G

Re: New testing tool - fakeOrigin

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.
nice work!