Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> on 2007/07/27 21:49:15 UTC

[HEADSUP] editor helper usecases (insert[Link|Image|Asset]) unified

hi everybody!

the editor helper usecases to insert links, images and assets have been
unified, i.e. there is now only one central implementation instead of a
zillion (you know, one of those new-fangled software engineering ideas).

these new usecases (editors.insertLink editors.insertImage,
editors.insertAsset) are editor-agnostic and can be used with every
editor without requiring additional usecase declarations. to accomplish
that, they make heavy use of javascript callbacks (see
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/GenericEditorAPI for a quick HOWTO). as i
have tested only on firefox, there may be slight regressions for ie
users, although richard has helped shake out the worst already.
please let me know if you run into problems. i'll be off the net
tomorrow, but i'll read your mails. from sunday i'll be hanging out in
#lenya if someone wants to do a debugging session.

oneform now has buttons to insert lenya resources, bxe should work as
usual (or not), tiny works as usual, fck works by adding two new buttons
to insert lenya links and images, look for "p" (as in "placeholder")
buttons.

inserting assets is currently broken everywhere for reasons unrelated to
the editor change (it will make the page unrenderable - if it happens to
you, append ?lenya.usecase=editors.oneform to the address bar and cut
out the link with class "lenya.asset").

kupu has not been touched - iiuc, it should still work as before. i'm
totally not interested in it, and it does everything in a very
idiosyncratic way. if anyone's interested in bringing it up to 2.0
standards, let me know, i can help with the lenya side of things.
same goes for the forms editor - it could also benefit from the usecases...

the usability is not perfect yet (although not much worse than before),
but look at it this way: if we now tweak the usecases, all editors
benefit and behave in a consistent way.

for fck, i'm planning to add better editing of existing links, including
link attributes, maybe the same for tiny.
next thing i'd like to do (if nobody objects) is to untangle the forms
and oneform editor and put them into separate modules.
after that, we should talk about providing a truly generic java usecase
handler - wdyt?

regards,

jörn

--