Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tomasz Rojek <to...@collibra.com> on 2017/04/11 13:52:49 UTC

Kafka on windows

Hi All,

We want to choose provider of messaging system in our company, one of
possible choices is Apache Kafka. One of operating system that will host
brokers is windows, according to documentation:

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#os
"*We have seen a few issues running on Windows and Windows is not currently
a well supported platform though we would be happy to change that.*"

Can you please elaborate more on this. What exactly potential issues are we
talking about? What functionalities of kafka are influenced by this? Maybe
it occurs only on specific version of windows?

Thank you in advance for any information.

With Regards
Tomasz Rojek
Java Engineer

Re: Kafka on windows

Posted by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@evolutionnext.com>.
Kafka uses Linux OS page cache and flushing techniques as well as in-sync
replicas to bring down latency since storing to the hard drive is likely
the slowest part.  It seems it would be defeating the point if you were to
install it on Windows, just like everyone here mentioned. ;)

Just wanted to add some links for your reference, the second one is pretty
good:

https://kafka.apache.org/08/documentation.html#linuxflush
https://www.quora.com/Kafka-writes-every-message-to-broker-disk-Still-performance-wise-it-is-better-than-some-of-the-in-memory-message-storing-message-queues-Why-is-that

Re: Kafka on windows