Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com> on 2001/04/12 13:30:30 UTC

Preparing Jetspeed 1.3 alpha 2 release

Following our ApacheCon discussions, here are the current plans for the upcoming
Jetspeed 1.3 alpha 2 release:

Target release date: 30 April 2001

Focus for this release:
 - bug fixes and stabilization of Jetspeed 1.3a1
 - remove obsolete code
 - implementation of localized layouts and screens
 - integration of VTLPortlet into the main codebase

Other possible features (depending on someone taking over
the task) :
 - supporting additionnal servlet containers (apart from Tomcat3
   and Websphere)
 - integrating GlueCode Customizer
 - simplify/clean up the syndication engine implementation

Anybody interested in these tasks should reply to this mail and
state his interest, I'll collate all the results and post an updated
Todo list for the 1.3a2 release.

CVS Policy:
All commits/updates pertaining to this release should currently be made
on the main CVS head. I propose that we branch for the release on April 22.
After this date, all clean up, fixes, documentation etc... that should be
incorporated in Jetspeed 1.3a2 are to be committed on this branch.

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris

Re: Preparing Jetspeed 1.3 alpha 2 release

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Raphaël Luta escribió:

> Following our ApacheCon discussions, here are the current plans for the upcoming
> Jetspeed 1.3 alpha 2 release:
>
> Target release date: 30 April 2001
>
> Focus for this release:
>  - bug fixes and stabilization of Jetspeed 1.3a1
>  - remove obsolete code
>  - implementation of localized layouts and screens
>  - integration of VTLPortlet into the main codebase
>
> Other possible features (depending on someone taking over
> the task) :
>  - supporting additionnal servlet containers (apart from Tomcat3
>    and Websphere)
>  - integrating GlueCode Customizer
>  - simplify/clean up the syndication engine implementation

I have code for a new implementation of the urlmanager, diskcache, ...

The development stalled as other work made me lose too much time iin
tracking other development areas, but I will ensure that it works and
post it in the next days.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.
rsanford wrote:

> as someone that is evaluating jetspeed for use in jrun i find the
> comment that you want to support other servlet containers to be
> both a good-thing and a bad-thing.
>
> the good-thing part of it is that i really want it to run in jrun
> so that i can deploy it in my production environment.
>
> the bad-thing part of it is that i really have to wonder if jetspeed
> is coded to the standard servlet api or if it is making use of some
> proprietary extensions that tomcat and websphere have. that would be
> scary.

The issue is that the API does not control precisely the complete behavior
of a servlet container. These grey areas in implementation strategies make
portability difficult for a complex webapp like Jetspeed which uses
templates, writable cache, embedded database, etc...

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@b3interactive.com>.
> the bad-thing part of it is that i really have to wonder if jetspeed
> is coded to the standard servlet api or if it is making use of some
> proprietary extensions that tomcat and websphere have. that would be
> scary.

jetspeed is 'coded' to the servlet 2.2 api - it doesn't make use of
proprietary extensions -- none that i know of
i hope tomcat doesnt have any proprietary extensions, its supposed to be the
reference impl...

there are some grey areas that have given some problems on different
webservers,
such as putting JSPs in the WEB-INF directory. We do that, and it causes
problems on at least one container
I hope we plan to move templates out of WEB-INF by 1.3a2 :-)

> what would be even scarier is if other servlet containers
> (specifically jrun) were not doing what they were supposed to be
> doing and you have to do something extra to support them...

i don't know about jrun yet, but ive had problems with others failing to
implement the servlet api correctly
there is also the matter of deployment, and specific deployment descriptors,
which can vary by server, yet still be 'compliant'
for instance, with atg dynamo, i have to go thru a long 'darina' process to
deploy my 'j2ee' app into their container
it involves taking the .war file, and then wrapping it in a .ear file, and
then wrapping in a .dar file along with some esoteric-proprietary descriptor
files

ive been using resin lately. you just drop in the jetspeed war and it works
great!

RE: Preparing Jetspeed 1.3 alpha 2 release

Posted by rsanford <rs...@nolimitsystems.com>.
as someone that is evaluating jetspeed for use in jrun i find the
comment that you want to support other servlet containers to be
both a good-thing and a bad-thing.

the good-thing part of it is that i really want it to run in jrun
so that i can deploy it in my production environment.

the bad-thing part of it is that i really have to wonder if jetspeed
is coded to the standard servlet api or if it is making use of some
proprietary extensions that tomcat and websphere have. that would be
scary.

what would be even scarier is if other servlet containers
(specifically jrun) were not doing what they were supposed to be
doing and you have to do something extra to support them...

rjsjr

Posted by Ernest Ros <er...@gluecode.com>.
Raphael,

I will be available to discuss and work on issues regarding the possible
inclussion of the gluecode customizer.  Anyone else interested can email me
directly or on this list.

This customizer allows users to have a 'customized' view of their portal
page.  Users can select which portlets they see and the colors for each
column of their portal page.

thanks,
Ernest
eros@gluecode.com

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Im primarily concentrating on the new customization stuff (for the next
release) as we discussed at apachecon.

For 1.3a2, I can contribute on:

- bug fixes
	- ive almost completed a 'fix' for optionally disabling sending an email
for new users. We get a lot of support questions issues,
        and not everyone wants to be bothered with configuring a mail server

- supporting additional servlet containers. Im working on a FAQ + specific
deployment descriptors
      - Catalina
	- Enhydra
      - Resin
	- JRun
	- WebLogic
	- ATG Dynamo
	- what else? :-)

- integrating GlueCode Customizer. I think they had a few bug fixes to work
on. I haven't heard back in a while....
  I'd be glad to test it again when its ready.

- TDK. As we discussed at ApacheCon, you all didn't think its necessary to
base jetspeed on the tdk.
  Maybe the benefits arent' clear now. Jason, if you're out there, could you
elaborate on the benefits of basing Jetspeed on the TDK...?

- Include Turbine Data Manager (Flux) in the distribution. This could be one
of the benefits of basing Jetspeed on the TDK.
  We will get a stable build of Flux and Torque.

- Documentation/site