Posted to user@poi.apache.org by TslH <ts...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/22 12:33:52 UTC

Can't access rows below

Hello there,

I'm looking into POI these days, but I'm surprised to see that the
HSSFSheet.createRow() signature take a "short" in parameter. Does it mean
that I can't reach the 65536th rows in an excel file, or it exists a
specific workaround?.

I haven't found a FAQ on the POI page about this problem.

Many thanks for your answer :)

TslH.

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/06, TslH <ts...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/22/06, Sebastian Frehmel <uh...@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, interesting. Short in Java ranges from -32768 to 32767.
> > Excel can have up to 2^16 -1 = 65535 (including 0) rows.
> > This is a real interesting question. Are rows between 32767 and 65535
> > not accessible?
>

> It seems that we need a second accessor for each "create" methods which
> accept character instead of short (character is an unsigned short, so it
> enables rows 0 to 65,535)

The farest cell we can reach is "IV 65536" IV correspond to the 230th
column, so no problem. But for the rows after 32767... :)

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by Sebastian Frehmel <uh...@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>.

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/06, Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com> wrote:

> Excel (at least till very recently) cannot have more than around 65K rows.

Yes I know. But the java short primitive has (at my knowledge) the scope of
a signed 16 bit: -32,768 to 32,767. My interest to POI should be to write
excel report which could reach at least 40,000 rows. Is there a manner to
break this limitation?

Thanks for replying so fast!

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by Sebastian Frehmel <uh...@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>.
:-) no problem.
Haven't had that much traffic in the list for some time...

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by Sebastian Frehmel <uh...@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>.
You are mistaken!

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/06, BirendarSingh Waldiya <bw...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Does the microsoft excel have that many rows , I think there is a limit on
> the rows an excel can have I gues somwhat 65000  please see if I am
> correct
> ?
>

> Thanks & Regards
> Birendar S Waldiya

My MS Excel can reach the maximum of 65536 rows.

RE: Can't access rows below

Re: Can't access rows below

Posted by jaikiran pai <ja...@yahoo.co.in>.
Prior to Excel 97 Excel worksheets allowed a maximum of 16,384 rows of data.  Excel 97, 2000, XP and the current version (2003) allow 65,536 rows of data on an individual worksheet

  regards,
  -Jaikiran