Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alastair Baldwin <al...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2012/01/24 02:21:15 UTC

Unable to access images stored in webapps//WEB-INF/images ?

Dear Users

Why am I able to access images stored here:

http://localhost:8080/imageUploader/1234.jpg

but not here:

http://localhost:8080/imageUploader/WEB-INF/images/1234.jpg

File permissions are the same

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alastair

Re: Unable to access images stored in webapps//WEB-INF/images ?

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Alastair Baldwin <
alastairgbaldwin@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear Users
>
> Why am I able to access images stored here:
>
> http://localhost:8080/imageUploader/1234.jpg
>

> but not here:
>
> http://localhost:8080/imageUploader/WEB-INF/images/1234.jpg
>

> File permissions are the same
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alastair

catalina.policy file? Although I'm not clear why on earth would you like to
store images inside the application WEB-INF directory?

Re: Unable to access images stored in webapps//WEB-INF/images ?

Posted by Alastair Baldwin <al...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Thank you all for clearing that up.

Alastair

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: removeps-code@yahoo.com [mailto:removeps-code@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Unable to access images stored in webapps/<myapp>/WEB-INF/images ?

> Tomcat doesn't let you access anything in the META-INF or WEB-INF folders.

It's not just Tomcat - the servlet spec forbids direct client access to anything in WEB-INF.

 - Chuck

Re: Unable to access images stored in webapps//WEB-INF/images ?

Posted by re...@yahoo.com.
Tomcat doesn't let you access anything in the META-INF or WEB-INF folders.  These folders have config for your system, and may contain passwords (such as META-INF/context.xml which has passwords for the datasources).  Besides, people can get into WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes and web.xml and see your implementation details.