Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by sunitha nair <su...@yahoo.co.in> on 2001/05/21 08:27:38 UTC

Fop building

hello,
I downloaded fop-0.18.1-dev-src and was trying to
build it.But i couldn't.I'm using jdk1.2.2.
I set JAVA_HOME=C:\JDK1.2.2 in the build.bat file
provided with the download.No other change made.
whenever i enter build.bat on  dos prompt as
C:\Program
Files\Fop-0.18.1-DEV-src\Fop-0.18.1-DEV>build.bat
the following error occurs.

Fop Build System
----------------
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Building with classpath
Starting Ant...
Bad command or file name

Where i went wrong.please consider me.
regards
rajeev

Re: Internet Explorer Version of Cocoon

Posted by Jesus Gómez-Caraballo S-V <je...@yahoo.es>.
The version of cocoon is the 1.8.2

R: Internet Explorer

Posted by Gabriele Domenichini <ga...@inver.it>.
I had a similar problem and I Tried to change the .xml in .stc because I
thought the problem was IE looking at the extention tried to make the xslt
procession.
I don't know if I was right but now it works.
If you want to follow my way you have to choose a new extension for the
xml->fo->pdf files and to tell your cocoon system to manage the new
extension as it be .xml

Re: Images in FOP

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.

--- Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch> wrote:
> I'm afraid you're wrong, though it's not that obvious. The PDF specs
> (1.3) describe a DCTDecode filter which is used for JPEG images.

Oh - I didn't notice that last time I looked. Thanks for the correction
But I still have to assume FOP doesn't implement it, no?

I have put this entry into the FAQ (and yes - I had heard of iText - it is
in the FOP FAQ. More competitors to FOP are welcome to submit information
about their products)

How do I embed a jpg file within a PDF file
 At the moment FOP takes all bitmap image file formats it understands and turns this into a bitmap
 which it then compresses using a zip style algorythm. It doesn't actually store the jpg unchanged
in the PDF. Apparently the PDF spec does allow for this but it isn't implemented in FOP as of 21st
May  2001, FOP 0.18-DEV

-->>
http://www.OWAL.co.uk:8090/asf/servlet/asf/screen/DisplayQuestionAnswer/action/SetAll/project_id/18/faq_id/276/topic_id/496/question_id/958
<<--

Remember folks, email me any submissions to the FAQ.

Thanks

Alex

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk
OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
DR WHO COMPETITION: http://www.diversebooks.com/cgi-bin/caption/captions.cgi?date=200104
Get Your XML T-Shirt <t-shirt/> at http://www.inversity.co.uk/

Re: Images in FOP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
> If you look at the PDF specs I don't believe you will see any facility to
> store a JPG within a PDF file. Of course I may be wrong.

I'm afraid you're wrong, though it's not that obvious. The PDF specs
(1.3) describe a DCTDecode filter which is used for JPEG images.

Jeremias Märki

Re: Images in FOP

Posted by Igor Nepomnyashchiy <in...@hotmail.com>.
Alex,
    I have not looked at the PDF spec, but... I have been working wiht an
alternate, iText (check out http://www.ip.pt/~ip001643/iText/). It has no
problem storing JPegs and creates PDFs only slightly bigger than my source
files (on the level of a few kilobytes). Also, what im working on is a
replacement for a system we already use that creates files of size similar
to iText, though it is a custom package.
    -Igor
Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
> I 'd like to convert a .RTF file to .FO file.
> Is there a program doing  it ?

There are a few programs called "rtf2xml" on the web (see
http://www.google.com/search?q=rtf2xml), but I didn't test any of them yet.

It might be your first step: convert RTF to XML, then use XSL to generate
XSL:FO.

You could also use upCast (commercial product, http://www.infinity-loop.de/)
for the RTF-to-XML conversion step, it does a job of making sense out of RTF.

--
 -- Bertrand Delacrétaz, www.codeconsult.ch
 -- web technologies consultant - OO, Java, XML, C++

Conversion RTF to FO

Posted by Hoang Nam <nn...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello all,

I 'd like to convert a .RTF file to .FO file.
Is there a program doing  it ?

Thanks alot for any help!

Nam

Re: Images in FOP

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <e-...@wanadoo.fr>.
If I remember well, JPEG images can be stored directly in PDF documents.
FOP reads images, decompresses them, and store them compressed by ZLib. A
lot of changes needs to be done to store images in their "native" format...

Eric.

______________________________

Eric SCHAEFFER
eschaeffer@emahoo.com
FOP, the first XSL:FO Processor
http://xml.apache.org/fop

keeps and breaks

Posted by Duncan Hull <du...@csw.co.uk>.
Hello fops!

Can anyone tell me if keeps and breaks will be implemented in the final (non-dev) version of FOP 0.18? I've used 0.17 and understand that breaks and keeps are not supported in that version.

Duncan

Duncan Hull
CSW Informatics Ltd
4240 Nash Court, Oxford Business Park South, Oxford, OX4 2RU
Tel: +44/0 1865 337400  Fax: +44/0 1865 337433
Web: http://www.cswinformatics.com

"CSW Informatics delivers high quality consultancy and
training services, to assist our customers in meeting their
requirements for innovative information management
solutions using the most appropriate technologies,
products and software systems"

CSW's XML SUMMER SCHOOL 20th - 25th July 2001
St. Anne's College, OXFORD
SIGN UP NOW: http://www.xmlsummerschool.com

Legal Disclaimer: http://www.csw.co.uk/disclaimer.htm

Re: Images in FOP

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Images in FOP

Posted by Igor Nepomnyashchiy <in...@hotmail.com>.
Alex,
    I am using the 18.1 version that I built from the sources.I noticed what
you were talking about: the PDF was less in size than what a BMP created
from the same JPEG was.

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.

Images in FOP

Posted by Igor Nepomnyashchiy <in...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,
       I've been trying to add JPEG images to FOP but cannot get the
compression to work. I have a 50K image resulting in a 200K PDF. By
comparision, iText, another package that creates PDFs, makes a 55K PDF.

    I have tried setting content-type and content-width and content-height
but those have had no effect on the PDF size. Is there something I am
missing, or have these features not been implemented yet?

Thanks
-Igor Nepomnyashchiy

RE: Fop building

Posted by John Kattestaart <jk...@delias.nl>.
Indeed java is for us newbies a tedious task. I suggest to check all the
steps on the help-page voor compiling). Check the jdk distribution again. I
tried 1.3 which seemed to be ok, but it cost me several hours of checking
testen etc. before it worked.
I can't see from here what's wrong. I'm not an expert. Check out some old
messages. There were many about this subject....

RE: Fop building

Posted by sunitha nair <su...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hello sir,

Error now is

Fop Build System
----------------

RE: Fop building

Posted by John Kattestaart <jk...@delias.nl>.

RE: Fop building

Posted by sunitha nair <su...@yahoo.co.in>.
Thanx for that very prompt reply.
as u asked i changed the dos box properties.
now the error occuring is

Fop Build System
----------------
Building with classpath
c:\jdk1.2.2;\lib\tools.jar;c:\jdk1.2.2;\lib\classes.zip;
lib\ant.jar;lib\w3c.jar;lib\buildtools.jar;lib\xerces-1.2.3.jar;lib\xalan-2.0.0.
jar;lib\xalanj1compat.jar;lib\bsf.jar;lib\jimi-1.0.jar;
Starting Ant...
Bad command or file name

why it is so?

regards
sunitha

Check the properties for the DOS box. The default

RE: Fop building

Posted by John Kattestaart <jk...@delias.nl>.

Re: Fop building

Posted by Daniel Bradby <db...@bigpond.net.au>.