Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by kant kodali <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/15 10:52:38 UTC

which port should I use 9091 or 9092 or 2181 to send messages through kafka when using a client Library?

which port should I use 9091 or 9092 or 2181 to send messages through kafka
when using a client Library?
I start kafka as follows:
sudo bin/zookeeper-server-start.sh config/zookeeper.propertiessudo
./bin/kafka-server-start.sh config/server.properties

and I dont see any process running on 9091 or 9092 however lot of client library
examples have a consumer client pointing to 9092. for example here
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/examples/src/main/java/kafka/examples/Producer.java#L34
shouldn't both producer and consumer point to zookeeper port 2181? which I am
assuming will do the lookup?
Thanks,Kant

Re: which port should I use 9091 or 9092 or 2181 to send messages through kafka when using a client Library?

Posted by kant kodali <ka...@gmail.com>.
@Umesh According to these examples it looks like producer and consumer
specifies bootstrap.servers. What is PLAINTEXT? do I need to change something
here https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/config/server.properties ?
because when I specify port 9092 for both producer consumer or just either of
them it doesn't seem to work. Only when I specify zookeeper port it seems to
work and I don't know why?

https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/examples/src/main/java/kafka/examples/Producer.java#L34
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/examples/src/main/java/kafka/examples/Consumer.java

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 8:15 AM, UMESH CHAUDHARY umesh9794@gmail.com
wrote:
No that is not required, when you use new consumer API. You have to

specify bootstrap.servers,

which will have 9092 (for PLAINTEXT usually ).

In old consumer API you need zookeeper server which points on 2181.

Posted by UMESH CHAUDHARY <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kant kodali <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com>.