Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/05/09 05:55:17 UTC

Controlling inter-arrival times

Is it possible in Jmeter to develop tests that are controlled not by the
number of "concurrent threads" simulating "concurrent users" but rather
by a pre-determined distribution of inter-arrival times?

What I mean is the following.  In our high-volume web applications, we
see a widely fluctuating number of "concurrent connections" as back end
service times vary and users spend different amounts of time on the
site.  Tests based on ramping up and maintaining "concurrent
connections" do not give an accurate picture of how our applications
actually perform under load. To simulate production load in a load test,
we would like to be able to let the thread count go up and down as
necessary to accomodate a distribution of inter-arrivals that is either
a) random, exponentially distributed with mean = some fraction of
measured peak mean inter-arrival time or b) based on actual replay or
resampling from production inter-arrival times.

Is it possible to do any of this using jmeter?

If not, is there a straightforward way to modify jmeter to support this
capability.

thanks,

Phil