Posted to users@apex.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> on 2016/09/06 00:42:17 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Apex Malhar 3.5.0 released

Dear Community,

The Apache Apex community is pleased to announce release 3.5.0 of the
Malhar library.

The release resolved 63 JIRAs and comes with exciting new features and
enhancements, including:

 - High level Java stream API now supports stateful transformations with
Apache Beam style windowing semantics. The demo package (
https://github.com/apache/apex-malhar/tree/v3.5.0/demos/highlevelapi) has
examples for usage of the API and an earlier presentation is at
http://www.slideshare.net/ApacheApex/java-high-level-stream-api

 - Improvements to underlying state management components for windowing,
ease of use in custom operators and incremental state saving. Work is
underway to take this further in the next release, along with benchmarking
for key cardinality and throughput.

 - Deduper solves a frequent task in processing stream data, to decide
whether a given record is a duplicate or not. The documentation explains
this in detail: http://apex.apache.org/docs/malhar/operators/deduper

 - JDBC poll operator, another operator frequently required in Apex use
cases. The operator can function as bounded or unbounded source, is
idempotent for exactly-once processing and partitionable. An example can be
found at https://github.com/DT-Priyanka/examples/tree/SPOI-
8548-jdbc-poller-example/tutorials/jdbcIngest

 - Enricher that essentially joins a stream with a lookup source can can
operate on any POJO object. The user can solve this through configuration
and does not need to write code for the operator. See documentation and the
example linked from there: http://apex.apache.org/docs/
malhar/operators/enricher/

There are more features, enhancements and fixes is this release, see
https://s.apache.org/5vQi for full changes.

Apache Apex is an enterprise grade native YARN big data-in-motion platform
that unifies stream and batch processing. Apex was built for scalability
and low-latency processing, high availability and operability.

Apex provides features that similar platforms currently don’t offer, such
as fine grained, incremental recovery to only reset the portion of a
topology that is affected by a failure, support for elastic scaling based
on the ability to acquire (and release) resources as needed as well as the
ability to alter topology and operator properties on running applications.

Apex has been developed since 2012 and became ASF top level project earlier
this year, following 8 months of incubation. Apex early on brought the
combination of high throughput, low latency and fault tolerance with strong
processing guarantees to the stream data processing space and gained
maturity through important production use cases at several organizations.
See the powered by page and resources on the project web site for more
information:

http://apex.apache.org/powered-by-apex.html
http://apex.apache.org/docs.html

The Apex engine is supplemented by Malhar, the library of pre-built
operators, including adapters that integrate with many existing
technologies as sources and destinations, like message buses, databases,
files or social media feeds.

An easy way to get started with Apex is to pick one of the examples as
starting point. They cover many common and recurring tasks, such as data
consumption from different sources, output to various sinks, partitioning
and fault tolerance:

https://github.com/DataTorrent/examples/tree/master/tutorials

Apex Malhar and Core (the engine) are separate repositories and releases.
We expect more frequent releases of Malhar to roll out new connectors and
other operators based on a stable engine API. This release 3.5.0 works on
existing Apex Core 3.4.0. Users only need to upgrade the Maven dependency
in their project.

The source release can be found at:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/apex/apache-apex-malhar-3.5.0/

or visit:

http://apex.apache.org/downloads.html

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on the project and
how to get involved, visit our website at:

http://apex.apache.org/

Regards,
The Apache Apex community

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Apex Malhar 3.5.0 released

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.
This time with blog post:

https://blogs.apache.org/apex/entry/apache_apex_malhar_3_5

Would be good to see more posts. I can add folks to the apex space, let me
know if you want to author something.

Thomas