Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Jamie McCrindle <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/15 11:56:04 UTC

client version policy when upgrading activemq brokers

hi all,

do all components / applications in a system always need to be
upgraded when moving to new versions of activemq? specifically, i'd
like to move to activemq 4.1.0 but we have some activemq 4.0.2 client
applications that i'd prefer to keep that way rather than doing a big
bang migrate.

regards,
jamie.

Re: client version policy when upgrading activemq brokers

Posted by Jamie McCrindle <ja...@gmail.com>.
The issue is that we have a number of existing applications that are
deployed at various client sites that are currently using 4.0.2.

I'd like to move to 4.1 for one particular application and preferably
for one particular client, to start with, to avoid me having to update
all of the code and brokers everywhere in one big bang. I'll still
have to branch the one application but I'm not expecting too many
changes on that branch for the existing customer base. If I move all
of the applications over to using a 4.1 client, I'll either have to
branch everything or upgrade everyone's brokers.

An example of what I'm aiming for:

Client A: App A (4.0.2), App B (4.0.2), App C (4.0.2), Broker (4.0.2)
Client B: App A (4.0.2), App B (4.0.2), App C (4.1), Broker (4.1)

The improvement I'd like to take advantage of is Pure JDBC Master /
Slave. I'm assuming that 4.0.2 client should handle failover just
fine.

I've seen this before (but with TIBCO) so I'm guessing it's a general
problem with Enterprise Middleware. You get all the advantages of a
homogenous message bus but you can get stuck on a particular version
pretty easily if the broker's aren't backwardly compatible.

cheers,
j.

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.

Posted by Jamie McCrindle <ja...@gmail.com>.