Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tokajac <im...@hotmail.com> on 2008/08/13 16:14:55 UTC

Tomcat monitoring

I want to monitor performance of Tomcat server when I'm running an
application.

Memory usage, threads, objects, user sessions, sql queries and as much as
possible of other
information on server.

Where can i find tools for this?

Regards

RE: Tomcat monitoring

Posted by Tokajac <im...@hotmail.com>.
Thx for Your answer, Chuck !

So far, i've found lambdaprobe more useful. i'm still looking around.

Do U have any advice about SQL debug?
I already have iBatis log and p6spy. Is there any other useful tool for
queries?

Regards

RE: Tomcat monitoring

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tokajac [mailto:imre_tokai@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat monitoring
>
> I want to monitor performance of Tomcat server when I'm running an
> application.

Start with these:
http://www.lambdaprobe.org
http://moskito.anotheria.net

You can also use JMX (e.g., JConsole) for much of the information, and there are numerous commercial products available.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat monitoring

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@kjkoster.org>.
Dear Tokajac,

> As far as I see  http://www.zabbix.com http://www.zabbix.com  is not
> available for WinXP (that's my platform).

*shrug* You could always run it on FreeBSD or Linux in VMWare.

> I downloaded Zapcat. Can Zapcat be useful without zabbix?

No, it only works as a bridge to Zabbix. That's what it was designed
to do.

Here is a discussion about some other tools that you can use to
monitor your VM. http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1
There is also Zenoss and MC4J.

Hope this helps.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe
so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry
Partchett

Re: Tomcat monitoring

Posted by Tokajac <im...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer Jan!

As far as I see  http://www.zabbix.com http://www.zabbix.com  is not
available for WinXP (that's my platform).
I downloaded Zapcat. Can Zapcat be useful without zabbix?

Any more advice for this situation?

Regards

Re: Tomcat monitoring

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@kjkoster.org>.
Dear Tokajac,

> I want to monitor performance of Tomcat server when I'm running an
> application.
>
> Memory usage, threads, objects, user sessions, sql queries and as
> much as
> possible of other information on server.

JMX is the way to go. JConsole was already suggested. If you want to
really monitor the performance of an application you also need
information from the actual host (disk I/O load, network load,
processor load, RAM fill level.

You should consider that tools such as JConsole only show data that is
gathered as long as JConsole is running. External monitoring tools
also allow you to gather information continuously, across reboots and
new software versions. That gives you the ability to 1) do long term
resource requirements prediction and 2) see what version of your
application introduced or solved the memory leak. :)

There are loads of tools out there that can do this. Personally, I use http://www.zabbix.com
, combined with the Zapcat JMX to Zabbix bridge (http://www.kjkoster.org/zapcat/Tomcat_How_To.html
).