Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Angelova, Maya (KV-Telematik)" <ma...@kv-telematik.de> on 2016/10/21 12:10:53 UTC

Pdf/A signed twice is falsely processed as invalid

Hello guys,

I have the following problem using apache.pdfbox when validating a valid PDF/A-1 file, which is being signed twice:
1. The online validator confirms that the file is valid (https://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/validate-pdfa-online.aspx)
2. But when I validate it using the following code:
<code>
PreflightParser parser = new PreflightParser(byteDatasource);
parser.parse();
PreflightDocument document = parser.getPreflightDocument();
document.validate();
result = document.getResult();
</code>
3. The file is linearized
4. I get that the file is invalid and the error description reads:
<i>Trailer Syntax error, ID is different in the first and the last trailer</i>

According to issues PDFBOX-3256 and PDFBOX-2502 this should be fixed?
Could anyone give me a tip how to go around this problem or would that be a bug?
The pdf file is attached.

Best regards,

Maya

AW: Pdf/A signed twice is falsely processed as invalid

Posted by "Angelova, Maya (KV-Telematik)" <ma...@kv-telematik.de>.
Hello dear all,

thank you very much for your input! I will assign to watch the created issue

What did I do to create the file:
I grabbed the original test PDF/A File. Signed it once and saved it (actually it is automatically saved as a new file
with Acrobat Reader DC that I use). Afterwards I grabbed the second file and signed it again and saved it again as a separate file.
I attached all these files to the issue.

Best regards,

Maya
Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Dear Maya,

> Am 21.10.2016 um 22:24 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>:
>
> OK - got it I think
>
>> Am 21.10.2016 um 22:04 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>:
>>
>> Mhmm

>>> Hello Maya,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the file. However according to ISO 19005-1:2005/Cor.2:2011: In a linearized PDF, if the ID keyword is present in both the first page trailer dictionary and the last trailer dictionary, the value to both instances of the ID keyword shall be identical.
>>> https://github.com/veraPDF/veraPDF-corpus/wiki/PDFA-1b-test-corpus
>>> also mentioned in the discussion at
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-2502
>>>
>>> In your file, the ID is different. (have a look with NOTEPAD++)
>>>
>>> So normally I'd say your file is not PDF/A-1b. The only thing that makes me insecure, is that the PDF Tools folks are usually right….
>>
>> Acrobat also treats it as valid
>
> as there was an incremental update to the file it's no longer treated as linearized and as such the provision doesn't apply. @Tilman WDYT?

I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3540 for that. You can add yourself as a watcher there to get updated on the progress. Are you OK with us adding the sample file to the issue?

BR