Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com> on 2000/12/23 12:15:41 UTC

Re: Reloading JSP is a bug? [humor]

On 12/23/2000 at 2:29 AM Andreas Sheriff wrote:
> To complete the pedantic discussion, the difference between a bug and
a feature is that a bug is unintended.

Oh, come-on, completing a pendantic discussion is clearly an oxymoron.

Given the usual lack of architectural documentation, what was intended
is anyone's guess. And, even then, some of the world's best features
have been unintended (at least by us mere mortals) ;-).

So the pendantic slice and dice quickly degrades to feature, unintended
feature, intended but undocumented feature, and if all else fails, and
the behaviour is clearly objectionable to any reasonable observer, and
even cannot be spun by a marketing rep with a straight face, then it
may actually be (ahemm) a bug.

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/

Re: Reloading JSP is a bug? [humor]

Posted by Andreas Sheriff <ma...@asheriff.com>.
> On 12/23/2000 at 2:29 AM Andreas Sheriff wrote:
> > To complete the pedantic discussion, the difference between a bug and
> a feature is that a bug is unintended.
>
> Oh, come-on, completing a pendantic discussion is clearly an oxymoron.
>
> Given the usual lack of architectural documentation, what was intended
> is anyone's guess. And, even then, some of the world's best features
> have been unintended (at least by us mere mortals) ;-).
>
> So the pendantic slice and dice quickly degrades to feature, unintended
> feature, intended but undocumented feature, and if all else fails, and
> the behaviour is clearly objectionable to any reasonable observer, and
> even cannot be spun by a marketing rep with a straight face, then it
> may actually be (ahemm) a bug.

Good point.  :)

And the sad thing is, I know exactly what you're talking about.