Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/10 23:19:40 UTC

Unable to change VisualTheme (security)

Hi,
in the latest trunk (rev. 752277) I got this error whenever I try to
change the VisualTheme in the backoffice:

The Following Errors Occurred:
Error calling event: org.ofbiz.webapp.event.EventHandlerException:
Found URL parameter [userPrefTypeId] passed to secure (https)
request-map with uri [setUserPreference] with an event that calls
service [setUserPreference]; this is not allowed for security reasons!

-Bruno

Re: Unable to change VisualTheme (security)

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 16, 2009, at 3:03 AM, Bilgin Ibryam wrote:

>> I haven't implemented this in the screen widget or in the menu or
>> tree widgets yet either. Actually, after implementing it for the
>> sub-hyperlink element in the form widget I couldn't find any places
>> where a request that calls a service was actually used, so it
>> appears to not be needed there (that I can find yet). In other
>> words, all of those links are for going to different places and not
>> for submitting data to update in the database. Unless we run across
>> other places that do this I'll probably table those for now.
>>
>> -David
>>
> How to deal with menu item links invoking services?
> These are few in invoice menu, used for setting the invoice
> statuses, and also in MyPortalMenus.xml -
> RemoveCommunicationEventRole, updateCommunicationEvent.

I have added to this in rev 755022. Please see my comments there.

On a side note: that particular menu bar is called a "Tab" bar, but
really isn't since the links go to other places and do not stay within
the tab set, and show a different pages causing the "tab" to
highlight, etc.

Anyway, a bit more progress... now lots of help is needed to get this
used throughout, and then we can turn on the more strict security to
better protect things.

-David

Re: Unable to change VisualTheme (security)

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com>.

> I haven't implemented this in the screen widget or in the menu or
> tree widgets yet either. Actually, after implementing it for the sub-
> hyperlink element in the form widget I couldn't find any places
> where a request that calls a service was actually used, so it
> appears to not be needed there (that I can find yet). In other
> words, all of those links are for going to different places and not
> for submitting data to update in the database. Unless we run across
> other places that do this I'll probably table those for now.
>
> -David

That's great, thanks David!

How to deal with menu item links invoking services?
These are few in invoice menu, used for setting the invoice statuses,
and also in MyPortalMenus.xml - RemoveCommunicationEventRole,
updateCommunicationEvent.

There might be more.

Bilgin

Re: Unable to change VisualTheme (security)

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:52 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Bilgin Ibryam wrote:
>

>> On Mar 11, 2009, at 9:43 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>>
>>> So, until then...
>>>
>>> To get there with the form widget I think we'll need to introduce
>>> a new field type, like a form-backed link that we can use instead
>>> of the hyperlink field type that we currently use to pass
>>> parameters in the URL.
>>>
>>> -David
>>

>> Hi David,
>> I think this is good security rule and it would be good to have it
>> in the framework.
>>
>> Do you have any idea how to cope with "nested forms problem"
>
> This isn't too hard, just takes a little work. You can always put
> forms with all hidden fields elsewhere in the page and then have a
> link submit them.
>
>> Also, there are links in the screens, which are used to invoke
>> services. Should we replace these links with forms or add a new
>> attribute to link element and render the link as a form with hidden
>> fields containing all the request parameters ?
>
> Yes, screens and other places will need this option too (a way to do
> mini-forms as an alternative to links for calling services). I'll be
> playing with these in the near future and figure out a good XML
> schema for it, probably a "formlink" or something with nested
> elements for the parameters to pass to it (which will all end up
> being hidden forms on the parameters).

Some of this is now implemented and in SVN, and used throughout the
ProductForms.xml file.

This is implemented as an extension to the existing hyperlink and sub-
hyperlink elements. There is now an attribute called "link-type" and
if it is set to "hidden-form" then it will create a hidden form and
the link generated will just submit that form, causing the parameters
to be encrypted in the body of the request instead of in plain text in
the URL.

Of course, for them to be put into hidden form fields, they must be
setup using the new "parameter" sub-element (under hyperlink or sub-
hyperlink). Anything left in the "target" attribute will remain in the
form's URL (action), and be submitted unencrypted... so everything
should be moved to parameter tags.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 11, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Bilgin Ibryam wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 9:43 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>
>> So, until then...
>>
>> To get there with the form widget I think we'll need to introduce a
>> new field type, like a form-backed link that we can use instead of
>> the hyperlink field type that we currently use to pass parameters
>> in the URL.
>>
>> -David
>

> Hi David,
> I think this is good security rule and it would be good to have it
> in the framework.
>
> Do you have any idea how to cope with "nested forms problem"

This isn't too hard, just takes a little work. You can always put
forms with all hidden fields elsewhere in the page and then have a
link submit them.

> Also, there are links in the screens, which are used to invoke
> services. Should we replace these links with forms or add a new
> attribute to link element and render the link as a form with hidden
> fields containing all the request parameters ?

Yes, screens and other places will need this option too (a way to do
mini-forms as an alternative to links for calling services). I'll be
playing with these in the near future and figure out a good XML schema
for it, probably a "formlink" or something with nested elements for
the parameters to pass to it (which will all end up being hidden forms
on the parameters).

Along with this I'm still thinking about doing unique keys for each
form so that they are more protected, and to avoid duplicate
submissions and such - those would initially only work by default for
form widget forms that are handled by service type events.

-David

Re: Unable to change VisualTheme (security)

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
In SVN rev 752399 I changed this to only log a warning and not blow up
with an exception. After playing around more I think there are too
many places that need cleanup/fixing before we can make enforcing this
the default behavior.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
On https://www.ofbiz.it/catalog/control/login/main?USERNAME=admin&PASSWORD=ofbiz
the actual theme is bluelight so it seems to be possible to change the
theme, but...how?

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
David,
I think I have found how it was possible to change the VisualTheme
even with the security issue we had on the demo at that time.
It also explains how an ecommerce theme was applied on the backoffice.
It should have be done using the ListPreferences form that I have now
fixed in rev. 754639.

-Bruno

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> This is one of the new security constraints that we were discussing over
> the last week.
>
> All data going into secure requests should be in the body so it is
> actually secure, and NOT in the URL where it is not encrypted. This is a
> good general practice, and now we're playing with enforcing it as a
> security policy. I'd like to stick to this, and most so far have agreed
> this and a couple of others are good measures to avoid problems with
> various web-based attach vectors (including XSRF types of things).
>
> Basically just have a form in your HTML and submit it instead of simply
> creating an anchored URL.

Bruno is saying that existing pages in ofbiz have not been updated to
handle this new security constraint, namely the visual theme selector.

Re: Unable to change VisualTheme (security)

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.