Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by A Df <ab...@yahoo.com> on 2011/08/13 01:19:02 UTC

Hadoop Cluster setup - no datanode

Hello Mates:

Thanks to everyone for their help so far. I have learnt a lot and have now done single and pseudo mode. I have a hadoop cluster but I ran jps on the master node and slave node but not all process are started

master:
22160 NameNode
22716 Jps
22458 JobTracker

slave:
32195 Jps

I also checked the logs and I see files for all the datanodes, jobtracker, namenode, secondarynamenode, and tasktracker. The tasktracker has one slave node log missing. The namenode formatted correctly. I set the values for below so I'm not sure if I need more. My cluster is 11 nodes (1 master, 10 slaves). I do not have permission to access root only my directory so hadoop is installed in there. I can ssh to the slaves properly.
	* fs.default.name, dfs.name.dir, dfs.data.dir, mapred.job.tracker, mapred.system.dir

It also gave errors regarding:
	* it cannot find the hadoop-daemon.sh file but I can see it

/home/my-user/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 40: cd: /home/my-user/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin: No such file or directory

	* it has the wrong path for the hadoop-config.sh so which parameter sets this field??

/home/my-user/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 42: /home/my-user/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/hadoop-config.sh: No such file or directory

	* not being able to create the log directory on the same slave node that doesn't have its tasktracker, which parameters should be used to set the log directory?

The same slave node which is giving problems also has:
 Usage: hadoop-daemon.sh [--config <conf-dir>] [--hosts hostlistfile] (start|stop) <hadoop-command> <args...>

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Tamara

Re: Hadoop Cluster setup - no datanode

Posted by A Df <ab...@yahoo.com>.

Hello:

After doing some more changes, the report shows only one datanode but different from the ones that I selected. The problem seems to be the datanode but I am not sure why. Does hadoop need to run as root? What if a shared filesystem is used for the nodes, how can I specify that the datanodes use a local storage?

bin/hadoop dfsadmin -report

Configured Capacity: 1043282395136 (971.63 GB)
Present Capacity: 613049589760 (570.95 GB)
DFS Remaining: 613049565184 (570.95 GB)
DFS Used: 24576 (24 KB)
DFS Used%: 0%
Under replicated blocks: 0
Blocks with corrupt replicas: 0
Missing blocks: 0

Datanodes available: 1 (1 total, 0 dead)

Name: 161.74.12.36:50010
Decommission Status : Normal
Configured Capacity: 1043282395136 (971.63 GB)
DFS Used: 24576 (24 KB)
Non DFS Used: 430232805376 (400.69 GB)
DFS Remaining: 613049565184(570.95 GB)
DFS Used%: 0%
DFS Remaining%: 58.76%
Last contact: Sat Aug 13 04:04:24 BST 2011

Cheers,
A Df

Posted by A Df <ab...@yahoo.com>.
Hello: