Posted to users@maven.apache.org by buzzterrier <te...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/07 00:44:01 UTC

Install an xml file

This may be an off the wall question, but I need to copy an xml file after an
install. I tried the maven dependency plugin, but it appeared to want the
file installed as a dependency. So I tried to install it using:

mvn install:install-file -Dfile=c:/test/foo-bar.xml
-DgroupId=catalina.context -DartifactId=foo-bar -Dgenerate-pom=true
-DlocalRepositoryId=local

But that throws and error:
Missing group, artifact, version, or packaging information

The documentation on install does not show an example of installing a
non-jar type file. Can text files be installed into a repository? Is there a
better way to accomplish this?

If you are curious as to why I want to do this, I am using GWT and in
non-server mode tomcat will whack the context file when maven does a clean
on my project. So I want to copy this file back to tomcat after each build.

Re: Install an xml file

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
The error message is accurate. You are missing required fields.

Add -Dversion=1.0 and -Dpackaging=xml to the install line.

Also, I'm pretty sure you want -DgeneratePom.

Wayne