Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@stinky.com> on 2001/11/03 02:23:04 UTC

[FAQ] jGuru FAQ Update

jGuru maintains FAQs and Forums on Servlets, JSP, and Tomcat (as well as
many other Java topics).  Here is an automated update on recent postings to
Tomcat-related FAQs.  Please direct flames and feedback to alex@jguru.com .

 - Alex

need it? get it. tools, code and tutorials for open-standards based development.

Stay informed with dW's weekly email newsletter
http://www.jguru.com/misc/register_devworks.jsp?src=notify

Hi.  You asked to be notified weekly when certain jGuru.com items get new entries.

You can shut email notification off at the FAQ home
page(s) or:

  http://www.jguru.com/guru/notifyprefs.jsp

++ JavaServer Pages (JSP) FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JSP

In my JSP file i am trying to use getRemoteHost() method to retrieve
the computer name. It works in all the systems. but in one machine instead
of displaying that computer name it is displaying the IP address of that computer. I dont know why it is displaying like that. do i need to
change any settings in that particular machine ?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532449

How can I send email from a JSP page with HTML format?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532445

Can I instantiate the same JavaBean multiple times within a JSP page by associating each instance with a different scope?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532444

	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532208

I'm specifying the error page as a page directive in a page. When there is an exception in the JSP page, the error page is called. I want to pass a parameter from the current page to the error page when there is an exception . Is this possible?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532207

I need to do a lot of background work in my jsp and i do not want to keep my client waiting. Hence i want to redirect my client to main menu page and continue with my processing. Is it possible to implement this using multi-threading in a JSP?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532203

Can I use either the include directive or include tag to bring in a static HTML file that is residing on either a different server or on the same machine but outside the directory structure of the web server?</p>
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532199

I have a JSP which does some intensive I/O and consequently takes approximately 20 seconds or so to load.

How can I create a "loading...." message/HTML page which is invoked while the page is processing and then gives way to the JSP?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532196

Does anybody could explain me the use of
<b>pageContext.include(String relativeUrlPath);</b>?
What is the difference with &lt;@ include file="..."&gt; tag?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532194

	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532190

How can I prevent data to be added into my database twice when using a form on a JSP page?  On Browser refresh, the same data is added to my database table.
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532188

I have trouble displaying a string like "&lt;some data&gt;" via JSP, since they interfere with HTML tags.
For example, when displaying "&lt;user@domain.com&gt;", the &lt;user@domain.com&gt; disappears. Is there any workaround for this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=532180

++ Servlets FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Servlets

Can I place my classes somewhere other than inside WEB-INF?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=536258

++ Tomcat FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Tomcat