Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Disruptive Solutions <di...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/15 08:34:32 UTC

Question about structure roadmap

Its a bit messy on the mail right now... (And maybe its only my feeling then please do nothing with my question/signal).

Contribute patches
If and how I contribute is not clear for me at this moment. I have to sign a paper ICLA and scan it and send it to? The patch process seemed to work.. does this process stay?

Communication stuff
I still see the slack channels, but they will go away? The IRC channel will get back up in IRC apache? Linked in yes no? What the communication plan??!

Insight
Can someone make things more clear by making a roadmap or something?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Re: Question about structure roadmap

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Some chaos was expected. The project is still on the road of moving.

The main communication channel is the dev list now.
The google group is still operational but that won't be for too long. It
will either get archived or posters will be redirected to the dev mailing
list..
The Slack channel will likely go away.

Changes are still accepted on the Bitbucket repositories until the Apache
ones are up and running.
I don't think you need to sign an ICLA to be able to contribute. (Please
see also the thread "ICLA needed?")

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 9:41 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Can someone make things more clear by making a roadmap or something?
>
> It’s up to the PMC to discuss and do this. I think more discussion need
to happen on this issues on this list.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,
.

> That's basically true of IRC, conference call, or any real time
> communication.

Email has many advantages:
- it allows anyone not matter their day job or time zone to take part
- it tends to have a higher ratio of informational content
- its easily searchable and archived
- it has subjects so you skim to see what to read
- it's threaded
- users have choice of clients with many features including smart ways of
marking or grouping messages

Maybe we can have the slack or whichever medium, but when there is going to
> be a meeting there, post about it to the mailing list so others who might
> be interested could have a chance?

Some may still be unable to attend so it best if a summary be brought back
to the list.

Given the choice of attending a metering and reading a good summary I know
what I would choose. :-)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Question about structure roadmap

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 5:29 PM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I created a #nuttx Slack channel in the ASF Slack.  My understanding is
> >> that anyone can join a single channel even if you are not a project
> member.
> > If I may... I'm not sure that's such a great idea.
> >
> > I'm open to reconsider if there's a reason to have a slack that I'm
> > not seeing, but I think it could cause trouble.
> >
> > Reasoning: It splits our communications. I'd rather consolidate, not
> split...
>
> Slack is useful for certain kinds of activities such as focusing on
> working through technical issues.  It is great for that fast
> brainstorming to work through technical issues.  Using it as a
> substitute for email is not so good.
>
> The only negative thing I recall Justin saying about Slack is that is
> doesn't work so good across large time zones.

That's basically true of IRC, conference call, or any real time
communication.

I agree it can be good if you really need to focus on some specific thing
with a particular person and you can coordinate.

Maybe we can have the slack or whichever medium, but when there is going to
be a meeting there, post about it to the mailing list so others who might
be interested could have a chance?

Just a thought

Nathan

Re: Question about structure roadmap

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Apache supports a Slack.  But it is only available for posting by
> > project members.
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Slack+Guest+Invites
> > No members can join into a single channel, but I am not sure exactly
> > how that works.  The sign-up is here http://s.apache.org/slack-invite
>
> I created a #nuttx Slack channel in the ASF Slack.  My understanding is
> that anyone can join a single channel even if you are not a project member.

If I may... I'm not sure that's such a great idea.

I'm open to reconsider if there's a reason to have a slack that I'm
not seeing, but I think it could cause trouble.

Reasoning: It splits our communications. I'd rather consolidate, not split...

Thoughts?
Nathan

Re: Question about structure roadmap

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Apache supports a Slack.  But it is only available for posting by
> project members.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Slack+Guest+Invites
> No members can join into a single channel, but I am not sure exactly
> how that works.  The sign-up is here http://s.apache.org/slack-invite

I created a #nuttx Slack channel in the ASF Slack.  My understanding is
that anyone can join a single channel even if you are not a project member.

NOTE: The reason that only project members are support is because this
is the paid slack which costs somewhere betwee 3 and 4 dollars per
person per month.  Hmmm... It never asked my any project credentials
when I signed up????

Greg

Re: Question about structure roadmap

Posted by Sebastien Lorquet <se...@lorquet.fr>.
I would rather use an IRC channel than slack :p

Where is this channel? Freenode? #nuttx ?

Sebastien

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 3:34 AM Disruptive Solutions
<di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its a bit messy on the mail right now... (And maybe its only my feeling then please do nothing with my question/signal).

Yes. We need to get accustomed to the new way of doing things...

I think the key is to keep one thread per topic, and one topic per
thread. More below:

> Contribute patches
> If and how I contribute is not clear for me at this moment. I have to sign a paper ICLA and scan it and send it to? The patch process seemed to work.. does this process stay?

We need to start a thread to discuss this particular issue.

Do we accept patches only? GitHub Pull Requests only? Both patches and
pull requests? Are there any other methods to receive changes?

Would you like to go ahead and start such a thread?

> Communication stuff
> I still see the slack channels, but they will go away? The IRC channel will get back up in IRC apache? Linked in yes no? What the communication plan??!

Slack is shutting down. I tried to login earlier to deactivate myself
and it turns out that I was already deactivated. So it might be gone
already.

I think most communication will take place on this dev@ list for the
near future.

LinkedIn, as far as I know, is staying but only for announcements. It
already has 1000 followers I'm told, who stay tuned for announcements
etc.

Someone (maybe it was Justin?) pointed out that many Apache projects
have FaceBook, Twitter, etc., social media sites, so it's normal to
keep LinkedIn.

I don't think IRC plans were discussed at all. We should start a
separate thread about that too.

> Insight
> Can someone make things more clear by making a roadmap or something?

I hope I was somewhat helpful.

Feel free to discuss any and all issues about NuttX here on this list,
whether technical, management of the project, etc.

Nathan