Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "S. Champ" <s-...@postoffice.pacbell.net> on 2000/06/11 00:31:27 UTC

cocoon-docs : reproc.

hello.

trying to work on the cocoon-docs here. still. and hoping to receive some

 and please CC: any responses, or they will stay in the "catchbin", where these
flood-of-an-info-set  xml.apache.org/* posts have been going into, here.

1)  if anyone would care to help out with migrating the DTD +
whatever-else-does-it building of the Cocoon docs,

	namely:  writing some XSL style-sheets, and keeping the xml doc-sources in the
public distribution

	...then that needs to get done.

the HTML doc-set-version is overwhelming,

the documents _do_ need to be edited.

I _do not_ mean anything personal about that, but it's the truth.

I _will_ need to receive a better response from people, if I'm going to be doing
this editing.

if we're going to be helping folks to use XML, this needs to get done.

and a software-developer or a business-person is no less a worker than someone
on the factory-line.

2)  please cc: any replies
	to:

		s-champ@pacbell.net
		docsys_x@hotmail.com

the second is in-case this interenet account gets disconnected.

if you do not cc: your reply to those addresses
	you will have wasted your time, and you will be wasting my time if I have to
dredge through the mailing-list flood to extract useful of the data.

-- s.c.

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com> writes:

> Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
>
> > If someone could give me some hints, I could also try to get the FOP
> > stuff working with C2 instead of writing another Ant task for FOP.
> > Unfortunately I can't find a written overall overview about the C2
> > architecture so I don't know where to start.
>
> The FOP project has adopted the use of Ant for itself, and uses FOP
> on it's samples, etc.  They have already written an FOP task.  Pull
> down the full distro and check it out.

Thanks. I'll have a look at it when the time is ready, i.e. I have the
time, the HTML docs are working fine and we're only lacking PDF docs.
HTML docs have priority over PDF.

Uli

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the current state of my Docbook efforts:
>
> 1. document2docbook.xsl works, including links
>    (at least for sitemap.xml)

cool.

> 2. Norman's Docbook->HTML XSL stylesheets work with some minor
>    bugs. I'll either fix these or report them to Norman within the
>    next few days.

I'm all for moving Norman's stuff over to Apache. Norman, what's your
status on this? Now you work for Sun, right? Is this still your day job?

> 3. With the stylesheets now working, I'm wondering about where we're
>    going to put the created HTML docs and how we're going to link to
>    these from the Stylebook generated pages.

Yep, Cocoon Offline-mode with take care of this nicely, before that...
hack it somehow :)

> 4. Nobody has had any answer to the following question yet, so I'm
>    going to dump the Stylebook-like layout (at least temporarily until
>    someone volunteers to customize the stylesheets for the current
>    xml.apache.org layout). I don't like pages with that many tables
>    and graphics stuff in them anyway.

Fine with me, let's have things working, we'll fine-tune later on.

> > Are we going to use the xml.apache.org layout with those zillions of
> > tables and graphics? This would make Docbook->HTML stylesheets a
> > challenging task, I think.

Nah, that's the beauty of XSLT, once the schema complexity is there,
adding more style is piece of cake.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Hi,

the current state of my Docbook efforts:

1. document2docbook.xsl works, including links
   (at least for sitemap.xml)
2. Norman's Docbook->HTML XSL stylesheets work with some minor
   bugs. I'll either fix these or report them to Norman within the
   next few days.
3. With the stylesheets now working, I'm wondering about where we're
   going to put the created HTML docs and how we're going to link to
   these from the Stylebook generated pages.
4. Nobody has had any answer to the following question yet, so I'm
   going to dump the Stylebook-like layout (at least temporarily until
   someone volunteers to customize the stylesheets for the current
   xml.apache.org layout). I don't like pages with that many tables
   and graphics stuff in them anyway.

> Are we going to use the xml.apache.org layout with those zillions of
> tables and graphics? This would make Docbook->HTML stylesheets a
> challenging task, I think.

Uli

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
>
> > > Eventually, we will probably build our HTML, PDF, whatever docs out of
> > > our XML stuff using C2. As we probably do not want the docs to require
> > > a working installation of C2 in order to read, we should build them
> > > from XML into static HTML/PDF/whatever files. I don't know what C2's
> > > offline capabilities are today, but a few days ago, I wrote an Ant
> > > task class that calls Xalan to perform an XSL transformation. We could
> > > use this in the mean time.
> >
> > I agree. (BTW, there already is an XSLT task in Ant, no?)
>
> I didn't see one in the "Ant User Manual" of "Version 1.0.8 - 2000/03/04".
> I'll have a look at it at the weekend.

It's not a regular Ant task. It's in the Fop CVS under ./lib (source and
class). There are also others Ant tasks like Fop itself to produce PDF
output)

Giacomo

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Hi!

Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> writes:

> Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> > Eventually, we will probably build our HTML, PDF, whatever docs out of
> > our XML stuff using C2. As we probably do not want the docs to require
> > a working installation of C2 in order to read, we should build them
> > from XML into static HTML/PDF/whatever files. I don't know what C2's
> > offline capabilities are today, but a few days ago, I wrote an Ant
> > task class that calls Xalan to perform an XSL transformation. We could
> > use this in the mean time.
>
> I agree. (BTW, there already is an XSLT task in Ant, no?)

I didn't see one in the "Ant User Manual" of "Version 1.0.8 - 2000/03/04".
I'll have a look at it at the weekend.

> > If someone could give me some hints, I could also try to get the FOP
> > stuff working with C2 instead of writing another Ant task for FOP.
> > Unfortunately I can't find a written overall overview about the C2
> > architecture so I don't know where to start.
>
> Again, we can't do anything before finalizing the sitemap, but we are
> almost there.

OK, HTML docs have priority over PDF anyway.

> > <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
> >                 version="1.0">

[  some templates snipped ]

> > </xsl:stylesheet>

> That's awesome. It would allow us to move from our simple DTD to a
> better one... even if I still think we should use Docbook directly for
> documentation given the very good documentation about Docbook.

You're right, but it makes existing docs easier to migrate to Docbook
- which should be useful for the few parts of the docs that still are
valid. Of course, you will always have to clean up some things
manually.

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > Again, we can't do anything before finalizing the sitemap, but we are
> > almost there.
>
> BTW: what is still missing in the sitemap proposal to filalize them?

resource views, error handling and pipeline debugging.

All of them coming up in the next [RT], stay tuned...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> >
> > 2. How to build the docs from XML
> > =================================
> >
> > Eventually, we will probably build our HTML, PDF, whatever docs out of
> > our XML stuff using C2. As we probably do not want the docs to require
> > a working installation of C2 in order to read, we should build them
> > from XML into static HTML/PDF/whatever files. I don't know what C2's
> > offline capabilities are today, but a few days ago, I wrote an Ant
> > task class that calls Xalan to perform an XSL transformation. We could
> > use this in the mean time.
>
> I agree. (BTW, there already is an XSLT task in Ant, no?)

And if Ant doesn't have one, FOP does (Fotis wrote it because I've made
the build.xml for Fop and I've needed one)

Re: Docs with Docbook

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what the current state of the docs are, but I have two
> remarks about the C2 docs.
>
> 1. Doc conversion to Docbook
> ============================
>
> Yesterday night I created a "raw" XSL stylesheet to convert the
> document stuff into Docbook. The stylesheet is not equisitely
> engineered, I just hacked it to work on most of the C2
> sitemap.xml. The <anchor> and <jump> elements still need to be
> resolved.
>
> <!--
>   document2docbook.xsl
>
>   XSL stylesheets that transforms XML documents conforming to the
>   "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation Vx.yz//EN" DTD into XML documents that
>   (hopefully :-) conform to the "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1//EN"
>   DTD.
> -->

Awesome.

Docs with Docbook