Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/06 20:58:26 UTC

Logo next steps

Now that the core decision making process is over, what are the next steps?

1) I've sent Chris a note requesting the latest SVG.  Once I receive
it I'll check it in.

2) We should make an inventory of places where this logo should go.
What sizes are needed, formats, background color (or alpha
transparency), border requirements, location in SVN, etc.

The ones I know of, from just a scan of the product and website are:

a) The logo in the splash screen.  This includes the version number,
as well as some copyright text and other material.

b) Image in Help/About dialog.  This also includes version number.

c) Website header

d) Blog side bar

e) http://forum.openoffice.org/ header

f) Wiki header -- but the scale is quite small there so maybe we want
to use only the graphical portion?

g) extensions/templates repositories

h) favicon?

i) Bugzilla?

Note:  Previously it was mentioned that the number "4" had unlucky
connotations in some cultures.  So we need to include the version
number as part of the logo in the splash screen and about box?

3) Hopefully several of us can help create the needed variations once
we have the vector source.  Note that some are website uses and other
are in-product uses.  I think we should prioritize the in-product
uses, so we don't hold up the release.

4) Later, after we ship, we can notify 3rd parties, Amazon, etc., so
they can update their copy.

Regards.

-Rob

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
There also need to be adjusted to the graphic guidelines like pantones
and metrics of the logo similar to this:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Logo_Usage_Guidelines

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Chris Rot <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi and thanks for the congrats. The font "Source Sans Pro" is only
suggested for the
Apache_OpenOffice_Logo_ChrisR_2013-05_comparison_font-text_icon-idea.svg<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/Apache_OpenOffice_Logo_ChrisR_2013-05_comparison_font-text_icon-idea.svg>
construction
file. All other SVGs have only paths. The font link is included if some
re-construction or additional usage of the font is needed.

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congrats Chris!
>
> Ok girls and guys, I've already made a dent in documenting where the logo
> appears in the different sections:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Application+And+Launcher
> I don't have sizes, but I want to review those sections and document new
> sizes with some wireframes what it would look like.
> Some of the layout could use some polishing which I could help with.

Excellent.  I got a list from the developers of the underlying image
files for the splash screen, about box and installs.  I put them on
the wiki and loaded each file to get the dimensions:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Product+Logo+Use

There are lot of them.  We should probably divide them up since it is
a bit much for one person.  I added a column for us to pick which ones
we want to work on.

Next for me is to track down the dimensions of the social media icons we need.

And do we need updated images for the "social sharing" links you added
to the download page?

-Rob

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congrats Chris!
>
> Ok girls and guys, I've already made a dent in documenting where the logo
> appears in the different sections:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Application+And+Launcher
> I don't have sizes, but I want to review those sections and document new
> sizes with some wireframes what it would look like.
> Some of the layout could use some polishing which I could help with.
>
> I could generate the smaller images, fav icons, etc. once we have the SVG.
> I could check out and in changes, both code and resource files like images.

A quick thought on the workflow.  Abstractly we'll probably want a
"master" image SVG file and then a set of defined steps (a "recipe")
that gets us from the master SVG to each of bitmap images we'll need.
This is probably not something that can be entirely automated, but we
could have steps in a text file stored parallel to the source, or on
the wiki.

For example, to produce the website logo from the master:

1) Remove the version number from the master logo

2) Crop to specified aspect ratio, with specified centering of the logo

3) Export to PNG, with alpha transparency, with specified dimensions

Something like that (with the details specified, obviously)

That way, if we ever need to tweak the logo master SVG we can
consistently generate the derived versions.

-Rob

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Congrats Chris!

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Kevin Grignon
> <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I propose we take a final pass to prepare the logo for production.
> >
> > The vector artwork should be converted curves, the "ff" elements need to
> be combined, and some font kerning adjusted.
> >
> > Then we should document the logo on the AOO UX wiki.
> >
> > Who is preparing all the new graphics?
> >

> Whoever volunteers.  But if you have some specific changes in mind it
> would probably be faster to make them yourself and post a new SVG (or
> sent it to me) than to describe it in enough detail that I, without
> expertise in the area, can make the changes myself.

I think we REALLY need just the new orb part in svg if at all possible.

I'm assuming it would be OK to use it with just "other" text if we needed
it for an application like that. Yes?

I'm working on getting a test web area in staging (without trampling on our
existing site) shortly, not just that png I posted.

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Kevin Grignon
>> <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I propose we take a final pass to prepare the logo for production.
>> >
>> > The vector artwork should be converted curves, the "ff" elements need to
>> be combined, and some font kerning adjusted.
>> >
>> > Then we should document the logo on the AOO UX wiki.
>> >
>> > Who is preparing all the new graphics?
>> >

>> Whoever volunteers.  But if you have some specific changes in mind it
>> would probably be faster to make them yourself and post a new SVG (or
>> sent it to me) than to describe it in enough detail that I, without
>> expertise in the area, can make the changes myself.
>>
>> In any case, if we are going to make changes to the "master" logo then
>> let's do that first, before creating the bitmaps.
>>

> Pardon if I missed this in earlier discussions, but...is the new logo going
> to apply to 4.0 and onward?  Is it okay if 3.4.1 is associated with the old
> logo?

3.4.1 includes the previous logo.  That won't change.  If, for
example, we had to issue a 3.4.2 maintenance release I doubt we would
update the logo there.

But when we update the website, the new logo would be on all pages,
including those pages that discuss 3.4.1 and earlier versions.

This should be less confusing, IMHO, then the many places on the
website and wiki where we still call ourselves "OpenOffice.org".

-Rob

Re: Logo next steps

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: Logo next steps