Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/31 17:54:04 UTC

Deprecate\remove REBALANCE_OBJECT_LOADED cache event

Igniters,

I've faced with EVT_CACHE_REBALANCE_OBJECT_LOADED [1] and
EVT_CACHE_REBALANCE_OBJECT_UNLOADED [2] cache events and not fully
understand their general purpose. Hope someone from the community can
clarify to me the initial idea of adding these events.

The first - it seems to me that these events are completely Ignite
internal thing. Why the user should be able to subscribe to such
events? (not related to tracking cache keys metrics). Once the data is
loaded to cache, I see no reasons to notifying the user about moving
cache keys from one node to another if the cluster topology changed.
It's up to Ignites mission to keep data consistency in any cases.

The second - I haven't found any real usages on GitHub\Google of these
events. Most of the examples are related to our community members and
Ignites documentation.

The third - Correct me if I am wrong, but subscribing for Ignites
events can have a strong influence on the cluster performance. So
fewer events available to users the better performance will be.

I think these events can be easily removed in the next 2.8 release.
WDYT? Am I missing something?

[1] https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/ignite/events/EventType.html#EVT_CACHE_REBALANCE_OBJECT_LOADED
[2] https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/ignite/events/EventType.html#EVT_CACHE_REBALANCE_OBJECT_UNLOADED

Re: Deprecate\remove REBALANCE_OBJECT_LOADED cache event

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Anton,

I've thought that we will mark these events with @deprecated
annotation and remove all the internal usages. We can safely remove it
in 3.0 (see the issue [1] description).

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
+1 for removing, but...

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com>.