Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> on 2005/03/01 02:23:48 UTC

Re: Incompatible change in xalan-java [Fwd: [GUMP@brutus]: Project xml-xindice (in module xml-xindice) failed]

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:
> Hi Vadim,
>
>  I don't think org.apache.xpath.compiler.* is part of the public API.
> The following page describes the public APIs [1]. There's no backward
> compatibility requirement on internal APIs.

Not officially, no, but given that (a) there is no any public XPath API, and (b)
IIUC JAXP 1.3 is not part of JDK 1.4 (or 1.3, for that matter), it would be
really nice to have some migration path for users of xalan instead of leaving
them out in the snowy winter, don't you think?

> For what is worth, JAXP 1.3
> also includes a standard XPath API.

I guess we will have to resort to reflection hacks then - suboptimal, but will
allow us to work with any xalan release.

Unless you give us a hand...

Thanks,
Vadim

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vadim,
>>>  I don't think org.apache.xpath.compiler.* is part of the public API.
>>>  The following page describes the public APIs [1]. There's no
>>> backward  compatibility requirement on internal APIs.
>>
>> Not officially, no, but given that (a) there is no any public XPath
>> API, and (b) IIUC JAXP 1.3 is not part of JDK 1.4 (or 1.3, for that
>> matter), it would be really nice to have some migration path for users
>> of xalan instead of leaving them out in the snowy winter, don't you
>> think?
>
> First, there's a public API for XPath and it is in the link that I
> included in my previous e-mail.

Ok, I must have missed it. Thanks for the pointer.

> Second, JAXP 1.3 can be installed on top
> of JDK 1.4/1.3 and it is downloadable from Java.net. Having said that,
> your point is a valid one. I'm not sure why the compiler class was
> changed, but if you file a bug/rfe on Jira someone will take a look at
> it and offer you a better answer or solution.

Thanks.

Regards,
Vadim

Re: Incompatible change in xalan-java [Fwd: [GUMP@brutus]: Project xml-xindice (in module xml-xindice) failed]

Posted by Christine Li <jy...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Vadim

The org.apache.xpath.compiler.Compiler class was changed due to a security
fix. "7. Changed static methods of org.apache.xpath.compiler.FunctionTable
to instance methods and the reference of a function table is passed around
the processing to create an XPath object;"[1]

As Santiago mentioned, the experimental interfaces for DOM level 3 xpath
support, org.apache.xpath.domapi is public APIs. compiler is considered as
an internal API [2]. Users who have complex and specific needs, such as in
the xml-xindic project, might use these internal interfaces, but their use
is not supported. In addition these interfaces are subject to change
without notice.

Developers of the xml-xindic project have to make a decision how you are
going to deal with it.

Thanks,

[1]
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-xalan/java/src/org/apache/xpath/compiler/Compiler.java?rev=1.38&view=markup

[2] http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/public_apis.html#experimental

Christine Li
XSLT Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Tel: (905)413-2601
Email: jycli@ca.ibm.com

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Sa...@Sun.COM>
03/01/2005 10:06 AM
Please respond to
xalan-dev

xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Incompatible change in xalan-java [Fwd: [GUMP@brutus]: Project
xml-xindice (in module xml-xindice) failed]

On Feb 28, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:
>> Hi Vadim,
>>  I don't think org.apache.xpath.compiler.* is part of the public API.
>>  The following page describes the public APIs [1]. There's no
>> backward  compatibility requirement on internal APIs.
>
> Not officially, no, but given that (a) there is no any public XPath
> API, and (b) IIUC JAXP 1.3 is not part of JDK 1.4 (or 1.3, for that
> matter), it would be really nice to have some migration path for users
> of xalan instead of leaving them out in the snowy winter, don't you
> think?

  First, there's a public API for XPath and it is in the link that I
included in my previous e-mail. Second, JAXP 1.3 can be installed on

Posted by Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Sa...@Sun.COM>.