Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug Luce <lu...@aaronsen.com> on 2000/07/17 21:09:30 UTC

errno 19 with read() called from a mod_perl script

First, the setup:

I'm trying to use the Lingua::Ispell module from my script (running under
mod_perl Registry).  The Ispell module basically starts ispell as a
coprocess via open2(), then feeds it some lines of text and reads the

After my script starts and kicks off the ispell coprocess, ispell would
exit immediately (leaving me with unculled zombies).  Picking through the
code, ispell exits after doing a failed fgets().  Right after the fgets(),
errno is set to 19 (ENODEV, Operation not supported by device).

This same script works fine not only from the command line, but also when
I call it outside of mod_perl (i.e. as a cgi-bin script).  This failure
occurs immediately upon the first invocation, so it's not a matter of
stuff hanging around and getting obliterated by other stuff.

apache/1.3.12 and mod_perl/1.24, perl 5.6.

Anyone run into this one before?

Doug