Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by m mat <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/10 21:15:30 UTC

90% line calculation

I want to understand the explaination of the 90% line in aggregate report.

What I think it should be: Average of samples with 90% significance, i.e. if you assume a bell shaped distribution around the mean, this number should be an average of the middle 90% numbers (as in average after top 5% and bottom 5% outliers are removed). So that this number could be inferred as "the response time 90% of your users are likely to see". For example if you have 10 samples 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. 90th percentile should be (2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9)/8 = 5.5

it seems to me JMeter reports this number as the 90% value in the sample set. So for the above sample set JMeter would report 9

Which one of the above two is correct for JMeter?
Matt

---------------------------------

Re: 90% line calculation

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Right.  I'm wondering what a graph might look like in non-gui mode :-)

Re: 90% line calculation

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: 90% line calculation

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: 90% line calculation

Posted by m mat <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Peter/Michael

Thanks that explains the number and the rational.

One more related question, I am running the tests in non GUI mode, is there a way to get the aggregate report/aggregate graph report in non GUI mode?

Matt

Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
as mike already explained, the 90% is "90% of the samples finished within
0-x time".

Since I instigated this feature, I'll explain the purpose for it. In my line
work, requirements are expressed in terms of "90% of the requests must
finish within X milliseconds". This is driven by SLA (service level
agreements) contracts, which tell the customer "you can expect 90% of the
requests to finish within x time." if 11% of the requests for a given month
exceed the gaurantee, the customer gets a discount.

The average response time is a good number to know, but from a performance
requirement perspective, it normally doesn't drive SLA's. In a
business-to-business service application, it doesn't matter if the average
response time is 500ms, if the 90% line is 1.5 seconds.

from a developer perspective, if the 50% and 90% line are far appart, ie
(50% - 550ms, 90% - 5000ms), it tells you the application fluctuates a lot.
In an ideal situtation, the 90% is less than double the 50% line. Depending
on the application, this might not be possible. hope that helps

peter lin

Re: 90% line calculation

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: 90% line calculation