Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Vishnu Krishnan <vg...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/19 09:14:28 UTC

General question about kafka to use in a correct way

I read about kafka, and still i am thinking about some scenarios, what is
the possibilities to use kafka in a cloud POS application? is there any
sense to do a live dashboard?

Thanks
Amtest

Re: General question about kafka to use in a correct way

Posted by Dhwani Katagade <dh...@persistent.co.in>.
Hi Vishnu,

Assuming that the POS application will generate POS events, we could
accumulate these events in Kafka and use it as a data feed for live
dashboards. We could do some common events stream processing within
Kafka itself using the streams API. Alternatively the POS events stream
could be fed to Spark jobs with aggregates stored to required
granularity on some relational store.

In general there can be a role for Kafka to play, but what solution
would be best suited depends on the details of the analytics you need.
The following link very crisply states "What is it good for" :-) -
https://kafka.apache.org/uses

thanks
-dhwani

On Thursday 19 January 2017 02:44 PM, Vishnu Krishnan wrote:
> I read about kafka, and still i am thinking about some scenarios, what is
> the possibilities to use kafka in a cloud POS application? is there any
> sense to do a live dashboard?
>
> Thanks
> Amtest

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: General question about kafka to use in a correct way

Posted by Dhwani Katagade <dh...@persistent.co.in>.
Hi Vishnu,

Assuming that the POS application will generate POS events, we could
accumulate these events in Kafka and use it as a data feed for live
dashboards. We could do some common events stream processing within
Kafka itself using the streams API. Alternatively the POS events stream
could be fed to Spark jobs with aggregates stored to required
granularity on some relational store.

In general there can be a role for Kafka to play, but what solution
would be best suited depends on the details of the analytics you need.
The following link very crisply states "What is it good for" :-) -
https://kafka.apache.org/uses

thanks
-dhwani

On Thursday 19 January 2017 02:44 PM, Vishnu Krishnan wrote:
> I read about kafka, and still i am thinking about some scenarios, what is
> the possibilities to use kafka in a cloud POS application? is there any
> sense to do a live dashboard?
>
> Thanks
> Amtest

DISCLAIMER