Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/11/27 20:41:31 UTC

[resources] 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1

Release Candidate 1 of Resources 1.0.0 is now available for download at:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-resources/

The web site has been refreshed with the latest changes:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/resources/

All feedback on this release candidate build is welcome.

Niall

Re: [resources] 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Christian Meder <ch...@absolutegiganten.org> wrote:

> Always glad to help ;-)

Thanks, I have a busy time coming up so it may be a week or two before
I get back to doing any more on resources and looking at the recent
bug tickets that have been recorded.

Niall

Posted by Christian Meder <ch...@absolutegiganten.org>.
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 01:59 +0000, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Christian Meder <ch...@absolutegiganten.org> wrote:

> > > Actually I just nuked my reply (still stuck on my laptop) which
> > > reiterated my concern from my mail a couple of days that
> > > MessageResources and the MessageFormat stuff is missing like you did.
> > > But I guess I found it: it's in Messages.
> > >
> > > So I guess it should be more along the line:
> > >
> > > Messages myMsgResources = new Messages(myResources);
> > > String message = myMsgResources.getMessage(locale, "foo.key", args);
> > >
> > > But there are some things which should get improved wrt Messages:
> > >
> > > * include all parametric replacement options like in Struts
> > > MessageResources (not only arg0 and [] args)
> >
> > Following up to myself:
> >
> > I just found the following in the log for Messages:
> >

> > r142735 | dgraham | 2003-10-02 02:24:13 +0200 (Thu, 02 Oct 2003) | 8
> > lines
> > Changed paths:
> >
> > M /jakarta/commons/proper/resources/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/resources/Messages.java
> >
> > M /jakarta/commons/proper/resources/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/resources/MessagesTestCase.java
> >
> > Removed Messages methods that provided 2-4 replacement
> > arguments that were carried over from Struts.  This makes
> > the interface easier to understand and the implementation
> > simpler.  The methods that are left provide for 0, 1, or an
> > array of replacement arguments.
> >
> > I happen to disagree with the reasoning but I wanted to put this up for
> > discussion.
>
> Sorry I didn't respond to your earlier post, don't seem to have enough
> hours in the day.

You surely seem to have more hours in the day than me ;-)

> My view is the simpler the better, especially as Messages can be
> easily extended to include these additional methods.

Ok. So this part of the API will stay the same.

> > > * the order of locale and key is reversed compared to Resources, it's
> > > (locale, key); Resources is (key, locale)
>
> Good point, I agree it should be consistent.

Ok. Patch submitted. If you include the patch I will correct the user
guide in the wiki as well.

> > > * MessageFormat isn't cached as it is in Struts MessageResources
>
> The problem with formats is that they are not thread safe, so caching
> them means you need to synchronize the cache. I don't know whether
> caching provides any benefit because of that. Also if we set the
> Locale as you suggest below, then we would have to cache formats by
> locale.

I've got no strong opinions on the caching. Struts includes it and
there's a TODO in Messages. Did anybody produce performance numbers wrt
the Struts formats cache ?

> > > * setLocale isn't called on the used MessageFormat instances
>
> I agree we should do this.

Ok. Patch submitted.

> > > * the TimeZone parameter isn't used like in the rest of
> > > commons-resources
>
> I'm don't know how it could be - and was one of my original questions.

Looking at MessageFormat I don't see an interesting TimeZone use case
either. Perhaps Craig can explain which use cases he had specifically in
mind when added the TimeZone parameter ?

> > > If nobody objects I'll whip up patches for the above points.
>
> Dam, I had just got resources down to zero open bugs ;-)

Always glad to help ;-)

			Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: chris@absolutegiganten.org

The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized
by rolling up your sleeves.

                (Eihei Dogen Zenji)

Re: [resources] 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Meder <ch...@absolutegiganten.org>.

Posted by Christian Meder <ch...@absolutegiganten.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/05, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/27/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A couple of questions I had on the resources API:
> >
> > 1) I was wondering why TimeZone is include in the Resources's content
> > read methods? Is there a use case, for example, for giving west coast
> > Americans a different message to east coast?
>

> Some of the format options for displaying times take a time zone parameter
> (so that it can be included in the emitted string).  Simply pass null if it
> doesn't matter to you.

I don't see any valid formats specified in java.text.MessageFormat
that take a TimeZone. Thats slightly irrelevant though since AFAIK
Commons Resources doesn't deal anywhere with message formats. My
understanding that happends after the resource has been retrieved,
something like....

    String msgResource = myResources.getString("foo.key", locale, null);
    MessageFormat msgFormat = new MessageFormat(msgResource);
    msgFormat.setLocale(locale);
    String message = msgFormat.format(args);

Have I got the wrong end of the stick on this? Struts MessageResources
does do the MessageFormat bit, but Commons Resources doesn't.

> 2) A couple of possible suggestions for inclusion in the Message interface:
> > 2.1) Struts has "non resource" messages where the message contains the
> > actual message text, rather than a key to a resource - is it worth
> > adding an "isResource()" method to Message?
>

> I guess I'm not seeing the difference ... "resources" in the name of the
> package was intended to support the retrieval of localized string messages
> or non-string resources that correspond to a key.

Yes I agree it seems a strange suggestion but it would mean that
systems/software that allowed either resource or non-resource messages
to use Commons Resources Message/MessagesList types for all their
messages and not need something different for non-resource messages.

> 2.2) Its been requested in Struts that the Message object include the
> > name of the Resources it comes from - that way Messages can contain
> > messages from multiple resources. Is it worth adding a
> > "getResourcesName()" method to the Message interface?
>

> Why not have a property of type Resources so you can refer to it directly,
> rather than inventing a new identifier?
>
> It would also be worth thinking through whether one can easily configure
> Resources instances with a dependency injection framework ...

I wasn't thinking of inventing a new indentifier - just using the
existing one in Resources (i,e. its name). I think the main reason for
not injecting a Resources instance would be that it would get
serialized with every Message instance.
Additionally though IMO it would be a negative requirement to have to
get hold of the Resources when creating a message. In Struts terms,
the developer creates a MessageList and throws it back to Struts to
resolve them and doesn't have to worry about how to get hold of
Resources.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Release Candidate 1 of Resources 1.0.0 is now available for download at:
> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-resources/

Can someone please put the release candidate in the internal Maven repo?
   http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-resources/jars/

I'd like to switch the Struts Extras build over to RC1.

Wendy

Re: [resources] 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/05, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> > It might be worthwhile looking at the serializablity contracts in
> > [resources]. I don't know if there is interest.
>
> Maybe, depends what you come up with :-)

<snap/>

OK, unless someone beats me to it, I'll take a stab next week. Seems
appropriate to do that since serializability is the second bullet on
the [resources] web page.

Which reminds me of another conversation related to serializability I
had hinted at initiating a while ago, but I need to switch lists for
that :-)

-Rahul

Re: [resources] 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Release Candidate 1 of Resources 1.0.0 is now available for download at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-resources/
> >
> > The web site has been refreshed with the latest changes:
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/resources/
> >
> > All feedback on this release candidate build is welcome.
> >
> <snip/>
>
> Thanks Niall, I began rummaging through the code and I have a few
> comments in Bugzilla. I would have preferred to post these before RC1,
> had I been available over the last week.

Doesn't matter, Its not a problem to leave RC1 and move on. Its better
to delay and get it right before a release - especially the first -
and I'm not convinced the API is right yet.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.