Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Marcel Wagner <ma...@gmx.de> on 2010/02/22 12:09:39 UTC

[IVYDE] eclipse file locking problem in ivy cache

We use in our projects a SNAPSHOT working model, so we publish a lot
SNAPSHOT.jar files. Ivy supports this through checkmodified="true", to
include also the date into its resolve strategy. On the command line,
through ivy/ant all is fine. In eclipse there is a problem, the jars for
each projects are in the cache directory, so all the projects locks the
SNAPSHOT.jar. Now publishing a new SNAPSHOT.jar is useless in IvyDE,
IvyDE can't replace the jar in the cache, it seems locked through other
projects referencing the SNAPHOT.jar. ;-( So IvyDE should release all
jars files in all projects classpath containers before making a resolve
or the jars should retrieved in their own directory for each project
like ivy is doing.

Regards,
Marcel

Re: [IVYDE] eclipse file locking problem in ivy cache

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Marcel:
   I'm personally pretty sure that the jars are locked by Eclipse and
not so much by Ivy.  If you're using Windows, you can use a
downloadable utility called Unlocker to, well, unlock the jars.
After you've done this, however, Eclipse will probably throw
innumerable errors until you throw your hands up in despair and/or
disgust, shut it down, and restart.  The lesson to take away is that
Eclipse is what has the jars locked; this is strongly implicated by
the fact that I personally more or less never use the workspace
resolver.  I suspect that retrieving the artifacts rather than using
them from cache would help to some degree, though I've not yet
investigated this possibility.

$0.02,
Matt