Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bartosz Celmer <bc...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/09 23:42:12 UTC

SAX and Batik in applet

Hi

I'm using Batik 1.5.1 in my applet. It works great so far!!! But I found one problem I don't know how to deal with.

I'm using SAXSVGDocumentFactory(). But I need to use it, called from HTML button. And when I do, and call such sequence:

      String parser = XMLResourceDescriptor.getXMLParserClassName();
      SAXSVGDocumentFactory f = new SAXSVGDocumentFactory(parser);
      msvgDoc = f.createDocument(url);

an error is rised, "SAX2 driver class error.File not found". When I call this from button inside applet everything seems to be ok.

Acctually I've found another mailing list thread where are some info about it. It's said that I should use Crimson JDK. I've tried to do this but no lack.

Thanks for any help

Best Regards
Bartek

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: SAX and Batik in applet

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Bartosz,

Bartosz Celmer wrote:

> I'm using Batik 1.5.1 in my applet. It works great so far!!! But I found
> one problem I don't know how to deal with.

    You might try Batik 1.6.  You probably aren't using it right now
but with 1.5.1 there were some issues with the script engine when
used from an Applet Context.  BTW I don't think this has any bearing
on your problem, just trying to help you avoid potential future
problems.

> I'm using SAXSVGDocumentFactory(). But I need to use it, called from
> HTML button. And when I do, and call such sequence:
>
>       String parser = XMLResourceDescriptor.getXMLParserClassName();
>       SAXSVGDocumentFactory f = new SAXSVGDocumentFactory(parser);
>       msvgDoc = f.createDocument(url);
>
> an error is rised, "SAX2 driver class error.File not found". When I call
> this from button inside applet everything seems to be ok.

    This sounds very odd.  How do you call a Java method from HTML?
(I know very little about Java in applets/HTML).  Can you have the
HTML call a method on your core applet and have that do the work?

> Acctually I've found another mailing list thread where are some info
> about it. It's said that I should use Crimson JDK. I've tried to do this
> but no lack.

    The real suggestion was to use the JDK XML parser which is nice
because it saves having to send Xerces.jar (at around 1MB).  The problem
is that the parser name has changed (1.4 used a version of crimson,
1.5 is using a version of xerces), So it's a little tricky to do.
Ideally Batik would just use JAXP to find it's parser but I don't
know JAXP and since we still support JDK 1.3 we have to have something
for that.