Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Rainer Schwarze <rs...@admadic.de> on 2007/03/01 00:24:47 UTC

Re: trying to use POI with a DOT file

At 22:12 28.02.2007, Christian Bongiorno wrote:
[...]
>ideally what I would like is to have a Template .DOT file and Identify
>fields in it that I can then update programatically and save out. I can
>do anything I like with the DOT that makes this easier but I simply know
>nothing of the MS document format spec to accomplish this.

Hello Christian,

the problematic part of your wishes is the "... and save out". HWPF (the
part of POI which is for Word files) is not in a condition which allows to
write real life Word files. Right now it is good for reading, but not writing.

Regarding the MS document format: You may look at www.wotsit.org and search
for the Word spec and take some reading. If you do this, reserve some time
after that for recovering your mental health :-)

You may wish to look into another direction for what you want to do.

Best wishes, Rainer