Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2009/04/28 18:29:10 UTC

release:perform problem with ssh/scp

I am having a lot of trouble trying to perform a release. I have my
public/private keys setup and if I try to log into the target host on
the command line, I don't have any problems. However, when I try to do
a release:perform for the project I am trying to release, I am hung up
because maven says it can't establish the authenticity of host... Here
is output from a session -

http://pastebin.com/d498a0da8

That shows me trying to do the mvn release:perform and it hangs up at
line 30... So, I Ctrl-C and try to ssh into the host and you can see
it logs in without prompts or problems.

Here is the output of me sshing into that same host with a little
extra debug output -

http://pastebin.com/m3dcf44d9

Around line 24, the debug output shows that the host is recognized and
is indeed in the known_hosts file. So what could I be doing wrong? My
settings.xml file matches the instructions here -

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/creating-and-signing-a-struts-21x-distribution.html#CreatingandSigningaStruts2.1.xDistribution-UpdateMavensettingsforourservers

Of course, I have swapped out the $USERNAME, etc. placeholders with
real values.

The project I am trying to deploy is here -

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/struts/maven/trunk/pom/

It's just a pom project that acts as the parent for the rest of our artifacts.

Any help would be great, I can't figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: release:perform problem with ssh/scp

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> That worked! Thanks!
>
> -Wes

No problem...

Upon looking into this a little bit further, it seems like the problem
is the new hashed known_hosts file. The latest release of ubuntu turns
the hashing of known_hosts on, where by default OpenSSH would normally
have it turned off. So, your known_hosts entry would normally look
like this -

people.apache.org ssh-dss AAAAB3...

In the new hashed format it looks like this -

|1|wiKjIB5... = ssh-dss AAAAB3...

The goal on the SSH side of things appears to be that if someone has
compromised your account, the known_hosts file is a decent place to
start looking for further hosts to joyride along. Having the option to
hash the hostname makes it more difficult for a joyrider to continue
on to more hosts. This seems like a good thing to have, so Jsch (which
Wagon uses for ssh/scp) should support it as well. I can try to follow
up with them. In your case, Wes, you probably recently installed the
new version of Ubuntu from scratch. So, you had an empty known_hosts
file. The stock install of Ubuntu (Jaunty) turns the configuration
parameter on to hash the known_hosts file and even though everything
worked on the command line, Jsch couldn't read the file since the
entries were hashed.

-Wes

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
That worked! Thanks!