Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by clsgis <cl...@truffula.sj.ca.us> on 2007/08/08 22:19:47 UTC

rule for empty text + GIF or PDF ?

I'm seeing a huge spam run from well distributed bots.  Multi part MIME
messages
with an empty (three blank lines) text/plain part, *no* text/html part, and
an
attachment in GIF or PDF format.

I want to give those a really high score.  False positives when there is no
text in
the message are acceptable.  Hoping someone has a rule to do it.

I looked through all the rules in share/spamassassin/*.cf.  There are some
tests
like MPART_ALT_DIFF (eval:multipart_alternative_difference('99', '100'))
which seem to be looking for a text/html part, so they don't apply.

I looked up that rule and the explanation is  "<explanation of the rule goes
here>"
not exactly helpful, and it's not obvious what the arguments to
multipart_alternative_difference
mean or do.

I've searched on every combination of "spamassassin rule text no html" I
could think of.
No useful hits.

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:15:24 -0400:
>> Ok, is there a quick & dirty way to determine which .pre file (or
>> local.cf, there are 3 of those too) is actually running the show?
>
>all the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin

Ok, I'll start there.  I should add that spamc doesn't run as root, but as me.

>> >No, that is something you put yourself there.
>>
>> Sorry Kai, the comment string inserted in front of the loadplugin
>> statements (all of them) specifically said that sa-update had disabled
>> them because the --allowplugins wasn't being passed to sa-update.
>
>Hm. Can just say I don't have it here, never seen it and sa-update is run
> from cron.daily and without any addition to the command line.

I wonder if that's a leftover, from the effects of an older version?  I've
been running SA here for years.

>Kai

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 8/14/2007 2:18 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>>> all the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin

>>> Hm. Can just say I don't have it here, never seen it and sa-update is run
>>> from cron.daily and without any addition to the command line.
>> The "openprotect" SARE rules sa-update channel includes a pre file that
>> loads just about every plugin known to man for some (unknown to me)
>> reason.  If you don't use the --allowplugins options with their channel
>> sa-update will comment out the plugins they try to load to protect you
>>from the channel running any code.
>> Daryl
>
> Which explains what I found to a Tee, thanks Daryl.
>
> BTW, what is the name of their *.pre file?

According to one of your emails from yesterday, it's loadplugins.pre.
It'll be the pre file in their update directory on your system.

Daryl

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>On 8/14/2007 6:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:15:24 -0400:
>>> Ok, is there a quick & dirty way to determine which .pre file (or
>>> local.cf, there are 3 of those too) is actually running the show?
>>
>> all the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin

>>> Sorry Kai, the comment string inserted in front of the loadplugin
>>> statements (all of them) specifically said that sa-update had disabled
>>> them because the --allowplugins wasn't being passed to sa-update.
>>
>> Hm. Can just say I don't have it here, never seen it and sa-update is run
>> from cron.daily and without any addition to the command line.
>
>The "openprotect" SARE rules sa-update channel includes a pre file that
>loads just about every plugin known to man for some (unknown to me)
>reason.  If you don't use the --allowplugins options with their channel
>sa-update will comment out the plugins they try to load to protect you
>from the channel running any code.
>
>Daryl

Which explains what I found to a Tee, thanks Daryl.

BTW, what is the name of their *.pre file?

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 8/15/2007 8:58 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> [...]
>>> So, we're back to my subject line, sa-update doesn't [Big Grin]
>>>
>>> Whose NXDOMAIN error is this?
>> NXDOMAIN isn't an error (at least not a DNS error), the record simply
>> does not exist.  For some, again unknown, reason (although I've
>> speculated about why it's this way [1]) "openprotect" is always way
>> behind in publishing the needed DNS record for each new release of SA.
>>
>> Just use my channels [2] and be done with the hassle once and for all.
>>
> Ok, I've now done this, and issued the command with an added -D appended.
> Excruciatingly verbose in the dbg mode, looks like it is now invoking a
> session of spamassassin --lint -D for each .cf file processed and there are
> 32 of them as I didn't include the local.cf in the update-channels files
> listing.
>
> And it still finishes up with 3 NXDOMAIN errors, for imageinfo.cf, pdfinfo.cf
> and stock.cf.  Do I need to change the first 2 to a rulesemporium address?
> What about stock.cf?  Obsolete?

I don't yet provide channels for Dallas' plugins available via the SARE
site, so you'll have to get them their manually for now.

SARE has no "stock.cf" that I'm aware of, thus I have no channel for it.
  I'd imagine that it's something you picked up elsewhere along the way.

> And that stanza about the metadata I posted before is unchanged:
> ==========
> [23365] info: rules: meta test FM_DDDD_TIMES_2 has
> dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
> [23365] info: rules: meta test FM_SEX_HOSTDDDD has
> dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
> [23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
> dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[...]
> ============
> Which I would like to fix.

Just ignore it, it's harmless.  If you really want to fix it, you'll
have to make corrections to the SARE rulesets and contribute it to them.

> And finally, may I put this in my crontab for a weekly run?

Weekly, daily, hourly, whichever you like.  There have been no SARE rule
updates in months though, so weekly is probably fine.

> Thanks Daryl.

No problem.

Daryl

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Gene Heskett wrote on Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:58:52 -0400:

> And that stanza about the metadata I posted before is unchanged:

> Which I would like to fix.

Gene, it was told to you several times how to fix that. Check for the
rules these meta rules are based on. Check if they exist and check if the
plugins (if they are based on plugins) are enabled and work.
You want to use grep for that and the main directories where to look are
/etc/mail/spamassassin (your site-specific rules)
/var/lib/spamassassin/<some subdirectory> for all updates from channels

And if you have questions about this take on *one* example at one time,
explain what you did for researching this and why you still need an answer
after the research. Open a new thread and give it a good subject.
Hijacking threads by changing to "very useless" subjects in the middle of
a thread that wasn't even talking about your problem is not nice at all.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
[...]
>> So, we're back to my subject line, sa-update doesn't [Big Grin]
>>
>> Whose NXDOMAIN error is this?
>
>NXDOMAIN isn't an error (at least not a DNS error), the record simply
>does not exist.  For some, again unknown, reason (although I've
>speculated about why it's this way [1]) "openprotect" is always way
>behind in publishing the needed DNS record for each new release of SA.
>
>Just use my channels [2] and be done with the hassle once and for all.

Ok, I've now done this, and issued the command with an added -D appended.
Excruciatingly verbose in the dbg mode, looks like it is now invoking a
session of spamassassin --lint -D for each .cf file processed and there are
32 of them as I didn't include the local.cf in the update-channels files
listing.

And it still finishes up with 3 NXDOMAIN errors, for imageinfo.cf, pdfinfo.cf
and stock.cf.  Do I need to change the first 2 to a rulesemporium address?
What about stock.cf?  Obsolete?

And that stanza about the metadata I posted before is unchanged:
==========
[23365] info: rules: meta test FM_DDDD_TIMES_2 has
dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
[23365] info: rules: meta test FM_SEX_HOSTDDDD has
dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
dependency 'SARE_XMAIL_SUSP2'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
dependency 'SARE_HEAD_XAUTH_WARN'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
dependency 'X_AUTH_WARN_FAKED'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_8BIT_NOSPM has undefined
dependency '__SARE_HEAD_8BIT_DATE'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_8BIT_NOSPM has undefined
dependency '__SARE_HEAD_8BIT_RECV'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MULT_RATW_03 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MULT_RATW_03E'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_MKSHRT'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_GT'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_TINY'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED_XL has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED_XL has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG50'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG55'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG65'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG75'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG50'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG55'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG65'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG75'
[23365] dbg: rules: meta test VIRUS_WARNING_DOOM_BNC has undefined
dependency 'VIRUS_WARNING_MYDOOM4'
============
Which I would like to fix.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
Gene Heskett wrote:
> So what needs to be used in place of "saupdates.openprotect.com"?
>
> I might add that rulesdujour seems to work, but I've not regularly abused
> their site since the DDOS started.

Darryl does a good job of providing all the sare rulesets via sa-update.
All the details are on this (short and easy to read) page.
	http://daryl.dostech.ca/sa-update/sare/sare-sa-update-howto.txt

--
Jo Rhett
Net Consonance ... net philanthropy, open source and other randomness

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:46:55 -0400:
>> [18342] dbg: dns: query failed: 3.2.3.saupdates.openprotect.com =>
>> NXDOMAIN [18342] dbg: channel: no updates available, skipping channel
>> [18342] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1
>>
>> So, we're back to my subject line, sa-update doesn't [Big Grin]
>
>Wrong, 3.2.3.saupdates.openprotect.com doesn't exist.
>There is nothing wrong with sa-update, but a lot with openprotect, as
> already some other people told. Actually, it seems that all your problems
> started when you started using openprotect.
>
>Kai

Seems like not enough noise has been made about that to get my attention.
Needs a 72 point headline maybe :)

So what needs to be used in place of "saupdates.openprotect.com"?

I might add that rulesdujour seems to work, but I've not regularly abused
their site since the DDOS started.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The price of seeking to force our beliefs on others is that someday
they might force their beliefs on us.
		-- Mario Cuomo

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 8/14/2007 2:46 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>>> all the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin

>>> Hm. Can just say I don't have it here, never seen it and sa-update is run
>>> from cron.daily and without any addition to the command line.
>> The "openprotect" SARE rules sa-update channel includes a pre file that
>> loads just about every plugin known to man for some (unknown to me)
>> reason.  If you don't use the --allowplugins options with their channel
>> sa-update will comment out the plugins they try to load to protect you
>>from the channel running any code.
>> Daryl
>
> Nother Q here.  I went to the site and updated my crontab entry for the 3.20+
> specs, then ran that from the cli with a copy-paste, added a -D when it came
> back in half a second, silently the first time, and got this, striping the
> usual preamble:
>
> [...]
> [18342] dbg: gpg: adding key id [deleted by me]
> [18342] dbg: gpg: Searching for 'gpg'
> [18342] dbg: util: current PATH
> is: /usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin
> [18342] dbg: util: executable for gpg was found at /usr/bin/gpg
> [18342] dbg: gpg: found /usr/bin/gpg
> [18342] dbg: gpg: release trusted key id list:
> [deleted by me]
> [18342] dbg: channel: attempting channel saupdates.openprotect.com
> [18342] dbg: channel: update
> directory /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/saupdates_openprotect_com
> [18342] dbg: channel: channel cf
> file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/saupdates_openprotect_com.cf
> [18342] dbg: channel: channel pre
> file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/saupdates_openprotect_com.pre
> [18342] dbg: dns: query failed: 3.2.3.saupdates.openprotect.com => NXDOMAIN
> [18342] dbg: channel: no updates available, skipping channel
> [18342] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1
>
> So, we're back to my subject line, sa-update doesn't [Big Grin]
>
> Whose NXDOMAIN error is this?

NXDOMAIN isn't an error (at least not a DNS error), the record simply
does not exist.  For some, again unknown, reason (although I've
speculated about why it's this way [1]) "openprotect" is always way
behind in publishing the needed DNS record for each new release of SA.

Just use my channels [2] and be done with the hassle once and for all.

Daryl

[1]
http://daryl.dostech.ca/blog/2007/02/15/apache-spamassassin-318-released/

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>On 8/14/2007 6:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:15:24 -0400:
>>> Ok, is there a quick & dirty way to determine which .pre file (or
>>> local.cf, there are 3 of those too) is actually running the show?
>>
>> all the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin

>>> Sorry Kai, the comment string inserted in front of the loadplugin
>>> statements (all of them) specifically said that sa-update had disabled
>>> them because the --allowplugins wasn't being passed to sa-update.
>>
>> Hm. Can just say I don't have it here, never seen it and sa-update is run
>> from cron.daily and without any addition to the command line.
>
>The "openprotect" SARE rules sa-update channel includes a pre file that
>loads just about every plugin known to man for some (unknown to me)
>reason.  If you don't use the --allowplugins options with their channel
>sa-update will comment out the plugins they try to load to protect you
>from the channel running any code.
>
>Daryl

Nother Q here.  I went to the site and updated my crontab entry for the 3.20+
specs, then ran that from the cli with a copy-paste, added a -D when it came
back in half a second, silently the first time, and got this, striping the
usual preamble:

[...]
[18342] dbg: gpg: adding key id [deleted by me]
[18342] dbg: gpg: Searching for 'gpg'
[18342] dbg: util: current PATH
is: /usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin
[18342] dbg: util: executable for gpg was found at /usr/bin/gpg
[18342] dbg: gpg: found /usr/bin/gpg
[18342] dbg: gpg: release trusted key id list:
[deleted by me]
[18342] dbg: channel: attempting channel saupdates.openprotect.com
[18342] dbg: channel: update
directory /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/saupdates_openprotect_com
[18342] dbg: channel: channel cf
file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/saupdates_openprotect_com.cf
[18342] dbg: channel: channel pre
file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/saupdates_openprotect_com.pre
[18342] dbg: dns: query failed: 3.2.3.saupdates.openprotect.com => NXDOMAIN
[18342] dbg: channel: no updates available, skipping channel
[18342] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1

So, we're back to my subject line, sa-update doesn't [Big Grin]

Whose NXDOMAIN error is this?

Thanks
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Money is the root of all wealth.

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Monday 13 August 2007, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:24:15 -0400:
>> All copies of the same exact file, by hand.  Should I delete the one
>> in /var/lib/perl5?
>
>You can and should delete all that are not in use. The ones loaded with a
>.pre file is in use, the others aren't.

Ok, is there a quick & dirty way to determine which .pre file (or local.cf,
there are 3 of those too) is actually running the show?

>> [28645] dbg: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined
>> dependency 'DCC_CHECK'
>
>Search where this meta test is, it's probably not in the cf for the plugin,
>but in some rules you added. Same for the other warnings, probably, they are
>all meta rules.
>
>> Aha! again, I just found that all the plugins had been disabled in
>> loadplugins.pre because that --allowplugins switch wasn't being used with
>> sa-update.
>
>No, that is something you put yourself there.
>
>Kai

Sorry Kai, the comment string inserted in front of the loadplugin statements
(all of them) specifically said that sa-update had disabled them because
the --allowplugins wasn't being passed to sa-update.

I didn't put it there, ever.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
Hi Gene,
At 07:24 13-08-2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Ok, but the above spamassassin check also reports this, near the end of the
>report:
>
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined
>dependency 'DCC_CHECK'

This meta test depends on the DCC plugin.  You can ignore the
warning.  The quick fix would be to have an ifplugin:

--- rules/20_net_tests.cf.orig  Mon Aug 13 09:33:36 2007
+++ rules/20_net_tests.cf       Mon Aug 13 09:34:11 2007
@@ -36,11 +36,14 @@
  # Message digest tests

  # bug 2220. nice results
+ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
+
  meta DIGEST_MULTIPLE           RAZOR2_CHECK + DCC_CHECK + PYZOR_CHECK > 1
  describe DIGEST_MULTIPLE       Message hits more than one network
digest check
  tflags DIGEST_MULTIPLE         net
  #reuse DIGEST_MULTIPLE

+endif

>[28645] info: rules: meta test FM_DDDD_TIMES_2 has
>dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
>[28645] info: rules: meta test FM_SEX_HOSTDDDD has
>dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score

You can ignore those two warnings.

>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
>dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
>dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED has undefined
>dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED has undefined
>dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
>dependency 'SARE_XMAIL_SUSP2'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
>dependency 'SARE_HEAD_XAUTH_WARN'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
>dependency 'X_AUTH_WARN_FAKED'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_8BIT_NOSPM has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_HEAD_8BIT_DATE'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_8BIT_NOSPM has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_HEAD_8BIT_RECV'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MULT_RATW_03 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MULT_RATW_03E'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
>dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_MKSHRT'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
>dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_GT'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
>dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_TINY'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED_XL has undefined
>dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED_XL has undefined
>dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG50'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG55'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG65'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG75'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG50'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG55'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG65'
>[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
>dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG75'

The above meta tests are from SARE.  You may be missing the .cf files
which contain the rules.

Regards,
-sm

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Monday 13 August 2007, SM wrote:
>At 19:22 12-08-2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>And why not?  They've been announced as available, so one would assume a
>>simple run of sa-update would pull them.
>
>The PDFInfo plugin is available from SARE.  There is a
>non-spamassassin.org channel to get the updates using
>sa-update.  Note that sa-update will not update plugins unless you
>run it with the --allowplugins option.

Aha!  Added to the weekly root crontab entry, thanks.  But a by hand
execution:
sa-update --allowplugins -D
does not mention it.

>>[root@coyote rulesdujour]# ls -l `locate PDFInfo.pm`
>>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23475 Aug 11
>>05:38 /etc/mail/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/PDFInfo.pm
>>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23475 Aug 11 05:40 /etc/rulesdujour/PDFInfo.pm
>>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23475 Aug 11
>>05:41 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/PDFInfo.pm
>
>PDFInfo.pm shows up twice in your search.  The last one is not a
>spamassassin.org plugin.

All copies of the same exact file, by hand.  Should I delete the one
in /var/lib/perl5?

>>So what file to we add something to, to enable this, and what do we add to
>> it?
>
>You have to load a plugin to enable it.  That can be done either
>through the .pre files or the local.cf file using the following syntax:
>
>loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PDFInfo /etc/rulesdujour/PDFInfo.pm

Now done, many thanks, and spamassassin --lint -D now shows it.

>The path location is required if the plugin is not in the
>SpamAssassin/Plugin directory.

Ok, but the above spamassassin check also reports this, near the end of the
report:

[28645] dbg: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined
dependency 'DCC_CHECK'
[28645] info: rules: meta test FM_DDDD_TIMES_2 has
dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
[28645] info: rules: meta test FM_SEX_HOSTDDDD has
dependency 'FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D' with a zero score
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATEDM has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
dependency 'SARE_XMAIL_SUSP2'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
dependency 'SARE_HEAD_XAUTH_WARN'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_SUBJ_RAND has undefined
dependency 'X_AUTH_WARN_FAKED'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_8BIT_NOSPM has undefined
dependency '__SARE_HEAD_8BIT_DATE'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_HEAD_8BIT_NOSPM has undefined
dependency '__SARE_HEAD_8BIT_RECV'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MULT_RATW_03 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MULT_RATW_03E'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_MKSHRT'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_GT'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_RD_SAFE has undefined
dependency 'SARE_RD_SAFE_TINY'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED_XL has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_BODY'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test LOCAL_OBFUSCATED_XL has undefined
dependency 'LOCAL_DOLLARS_SUBJ'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG50'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG55'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG65'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG40 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG75'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG50'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG55'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG65'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test SARE_MSGID_LONG45 has undefined
dependency '__SARE_MSGID_LONG75'
[28645] dbg: rules: meta test VIRUS_WARNING_DOOM_BNC has undefined
dependency 'VIRUS_WARNING_MYDOOM4'

I had taken DCC and PYZOR out per a message about similar errors a week or so
ago, but it didn't seem to be the correct fix as can be seen above.

Aha! again, I just found that all the plugins had been disabled in
loadplugins.pre because that --allowplugins switch wasn't being used with
sa-update.

However, even after fixing that file, a rerun of sa-update with that switch
and a spamassassin restart, the --lint -D output above remains.  What should
I do about that?

Many Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: So lets change it to "sa-update doesn't"

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Sunday 12 August 2007, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote on Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:43:38 -0400:
>> 1: sa-update is NOT pulling new PDFInfo.pm or pdfinfo.cf files even when
>> they are available.
>
>of course not!

And why not?  They've been announced as available, so one would assume a
simple run of sa-update would pull them.

>> 2: spamassassin --lint -D ignores these rules when we install them by
>> hand.
>
>which means you probably haven't installed PDFInfo correctly?
[root@coyote rulesdujour]# ls -l `locate PDFInfo.pm`
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23475 Aug 11
05:38 /etc/mail/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/PDFInfo.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23475 Aug 11 05:40 /etc/rulesdujour/PDFInfo.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23475 Aug 11
05:41 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/PDFInfo.pm

[root@coyote rulesdujour]# ls -l `locate pdfinfo.cf`
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19863 Aug 11 05:42 /etc/mail/spamassassin/pdfinfo.cf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19863 Aug 11
05:39 /etc/mail/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/pdfinfo.cf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19863 Aug 11 05:41 /etc/rulesdujour/pdfinfo.cf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19863 Aug 11
05:42 /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002001/saupdates_openprotect_com/pdfinfo.cf

>> Now is the question sufficiently illuminated?
>
>Not at all. This is your first posting in this thread. This thread is about
>"rule for empty text + GIF or PDF". Your posting is about "how do I install
> or make use of PDFInfo". So, please go ahead and post a new thread and
> include all the information that is necessary for others to help you. If
> you did that already elsewhere, then please keep going there. But please
> don't hijack threads with completely different topics and pretend it fits.
>
>Kai

I'm not sure, playing this back in my memory, how it got into this thread, so
my apologies.  I've made at least 2 other posts about this, both of which
were ignored except for Lorens ack on one of them when I confirmed the --lint
errors someone else had reported.

So what file to we add something to, to enable this, and what do we add to it?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize... posthumously.

Re: rule for empty text + GIF or PDF ?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 11 August 2007, Bob Proulx wrote:
> [...]
>
>> This is exactly identical to giving someone a reference to "how to
>> program in c" when they've asked a very specific question about a
>> function.  Perhaps it wasn't intended as an insult, but as an answer its
>> utterly worthless.
>
>Many people believe that because email is ephemeral (aka the net has
>no memory) that it is much better to place answers in documentation
>pages such as on the web rather than to place answers in email.
>Otherwise the same answers will need to be posted again and again and
>any incorrect answers will remain in the archives forever possibly
>misleading those that look them up later.  Also most people consider
>having documentation available to be superior to having an email
>archive of questions and answers.
>
>A common trend these days is to document an answer on a web page and
>simply refer to the web page when answering questions.  This way
>incorrect answers can be corrected on the web page when in the future
>other people look up the same information.  The answer you were given
>was following that best practice.
>
>On the documentation page you were pointed to you must have missed
>this section which answers your question.
>
>  Installed Updates
>
>  When updates are downloaded, they are put into a directory under the
>  local state dir (default /var/lib/spamassassin/<spamassassin version>)
>  similar to:
>
>  /var/lib/spamassassin
>  `-- 3.001004
>
>      |-- updates_spamassassin_org
>
>      `-- updates_spamassassin_org.cf
>
>  The files from the update go into updates_spamassassin_org, and the
>  *.cf files are then included by updates_spamassassin_org.cf, which
>  also keeps track of what update version is installed. Therefore, if it
>  is desired to change the update directory, the .cf and the update
>  directory will exist there.
>
>There is the answer to your question.  The files are stored in
>/var/lib/spamassassin under a versioned directory under the
>subdirectory there.
>
>SM wrote:
>> TVD_PDF_FINGER01      Mail matches standard pdf spam fingerprint
>
>That is the key piece of information.  Using 'grep' to find which file
>contains that rule is now trivial.  On my Debian Stable Etch system
>running the backports spamassassin with sa-update (justifying the
>older version number) shows:
>
>  grep -l -r TVD_PDF_FINGER01 /var/lib/spamassassin
>  /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org/80_additional.cf
>
>> FYI I have seen several other threads with people complaining that
>> sa-update is not providing the PDF updates, so this is apparently a
>> common problem.
>
>The sa-update rules catch most of the pdf spam here but I do see a few
>pdf spams slip through the rules because they are not perfect.  Rarely
>are spam rules 100% perfect and seeing some corner cases slip through
>is not unusual.  It is a process of continual improvement.

We're missing the point here Bob, so let me repeat myself, or re-word it:

1: sa-update is NOT pulling new PDFInfo.pm or pdfinfo.cf files even when they
are available.

2: spamassassin --lint -D ignores these rules when we install them by hand.

Ergo, we are pretty well convinced its not working.  Grepping our logs for
mentions gets me this, and that log is for the last week:

[root@coyote ~]# grep PDFInfo /var/log/maillog
Aug  8 11:02:34 coyote spamd[557]: Use of uninitialized value in pattern match
(m//) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/PDFInfo.pm
line 329.

The only error all week, and spamassassin --lint -D didn't report it.

It looks like a typu to me but then I'm a perl dummy.  Or maybe just a dummy.

Now is the question sufficiently illuminated?

Thanks for any clues thrown our way, we seem to not have any.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: rule for empty text + GIF or PDF ?

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 20:33 13-08-2007, Jo Rhett wrote:
>In specific, the original question referenced SARE rulesets and thus
>the obvious assumption was that it was a SARE rule, and I had done
>the search and hadn't found the rule so I needed to know which SARE
>ruleset that I wasn't currently downloading provided this.

The original question was posted by clsgis.  In his answer, Theo Van
Dinter mentioned that a rule for PDF has been available via sa-update
for weeks.  Jo Rhett asked where in reply to that message.

>Had the person included the information that it was not a SARE
>ruleset but a normal SA ruleset, then I would have understood.

I provided the rule name and description together with a link to the
RuleUpdates webpage on the SpamAssassin Wiki as it explains how to
locate the rules downloaded by sa-update.  The webpage also has an
example of how to use sa-update and how to debug if there is a
problem doing updates.

I assumed that the threaded discussion conveyed the fact that I was
referring to a rule available from the updates.spamassassin.org channel.

Regards,
-sm

Re: rule for empty text + GIF or PDF ?

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Jo Rhett wrote on Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:31:05 -0700:
>
>> No, I didn't.  I asked where a given rule was.  I was given a reference
>> to a page that described how to set up sa-update.
>
> You were given the exact name of the rule, that reference to sa-update was
> an additional courtesy as it is easy to know from reading documentation or
> this list to know where the rules are stored, anyway. It would have
> probably answered all your remaining questions if there were any left. If
> you had cared to read it. If you know the name of the rule you can easily
> check if it's available for you or not. That was *exactly* what you wanted
> to know. Quoting yourself: "Where?".

Where, as in Where can I find it.  Not where can I start at the
beginning.  Saying that if I opened an encyclopedia I would eventually
find the answer is also true but not helpful.

In specific, the original question referenced SARE rulesets and thus the
obvious assumption was that it was a SARE rule, and I had done the
search and hadn't found the rule so I needed to know which SARE ruleset
that I wasn't currently downloading provided this.

Had the person included the information that it was not a SARE ruleset
but a normal SA ruleset, then I would have understood.

Anyway, the ruleset simply doesn't work.  I've got a dozen good examples
of empty PDF messages that the rule doesn't hit.  I'll send
documentation later tonight after I finish other work.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Jo Rhett wrote on Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:31:05 -0700:

> No, I didn't.  I asked where a given rule was.  I was given a reference
> to a page that described how to set up sa-update.

You were given the exact name of the rule, that reference to sa-update was
an additional courtesy as it is easy to know from reading documentation or
this list to know where the rules are stored, anyway. It would have
probably answered all your remaining questions if there were any left. If
you had cared to read it. If you know the name of the rule you can easily
check if it's available for you or not. That was *exactly* what you wanted
to know. Quoting yourself: "Where?".

> Perhaps it wasn't intended as an insult

Are you talking about your own response?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

whitelist_from_rcvd more than one mx record

Posted by Gokhan ALKAN <go...@yahoo.com.tr>.
hi all ;

    i have used "whitelist_from_rcvd" option for spamassassin and it works successfully if domain has only one mx record . for instance i have domain.com and it has only one mx record . the below line is used users who have email address  "*@domain.com".

 whitelist_from_rcvd    *@domain.com               domain.com

 what i wonder is what will happen if the "domain.com" has more than one mx record ?

 how should i configure local.cf if the domain has more than one mx record ?

---------------------------------

Very unhelpful

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
FYI I'd like to point out that this quoted reply is very insulting in
tone.  Golly gee wonder, Bob, there might be information on web page?
No kidding.

Now, why do you think I didn't understand the reference?  Because he
didn't explain it.  He send me the opening page to a very large topic
with no information.  Had he sent a direct link to the file locations,
or a comment than I can find the file locations here with the link, then
I would have known what information he was providing.

Next time you ask a question, if someone answers you with "That's how it
works" and a link to the index of an encyclopedia, would you go read the
entire encyclopedia to try and figure out what the person meant?
Neither would I.

So come down off your high horse and stop treating people badly when
they point out that the answer given didn't answer the question asked,
which is absolutely true.  Because this isn't mysticism, we aren't going
to sit and meditate on what the person meant.

And worse yet that the rule provided doesn't work, which means that
you're being nasty to someone who is trying to improve the system.
Great job.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
SM wrote:
> At 19:39 10-08-2007, Jo Rhett wrote:
>> Where?  I'm using sa-update and almost all of the sare rulesets, and
>> I'm getting a metric ton of these.  Searching rulesemporium for
>> "empty" or "pdf" gets nothing.
>
> TVD_PDF_FINGER01      Mail matches standard pdf spam fingerprint
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

Thank you for the very useless reference to sa-update.  As my original
e-mail said, I'm running sa-update (and it works) and I'm also using
sa-update to get about 40 SARE channels, and those work.

I don't see any sare channels that deal with PDF empty text spam.

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:19:47PM -0700, clsgis wrote:
> I want to give those a really high score.  False positives when there is no
> text in
> the message are acceptable.  Hoping someone has a rule to do it.

Sure, one for PDF has been available via sa-update for weeks.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Marriage is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important." - Lisa Hoffman