Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ray <ra...@media32.ca> on 2006/08/17 15:48:45 UTC

[users@httpd] troubleshooting apache performance

Hello,
I'm trying to track down some performance issues with an apache server.
(behaviour description below). The system is apache, php, and mysql on win
2003. I'm looking for a tool or procedure to track down the source.
unfortunately, because this is a production server, I can't easily shut
down one component at a time.  I have already read through the FAQ
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html) and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/perf-tuning.html but they are both
for  apache 1.3 on linux.
The behaviour I am seeing is that sometimes page requests are normal,
sometimes pages load slow, and sometimes they don't load at all and the
user gets a 'cannot find server' error message, and all occur in no
particular order within a short period of time on the same user machine.
Any suggestions for appropriate tools (or if anybody recognizes the
symptoms) that work on win 2003 would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ray

Re: [users@httpd] troubleshooting apache performance

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:48:45AM -0600, Ray wrote:
> The behaviour I am seeing is that sometimes page requests are normal,
> sometimes pages load slow, and sometimes they don't load at all and the
> user gets a 'cannot find server' error message, and all occur in no
> particular order within a short period of time on the same user machine.

Same machine?  I was going to suggest looking at DNS issues.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Re: [users@httpd] troubleshooting apache performance

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/17/06, Ray <ra...@media32.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to track down some performance issues with an apache server.
> (behaviour description below). The system is apache, php, and mysql on win
> 2003. I'm looking for a tool or procedure to track down the source.
> unfortunately, because this is a production server, I can't easily shut
> down one component at a time.  I have already read through the FAQ
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html) and
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/perf-tuning.html but they are both
> for  apache 1.3 on linux.
> The behaviour I am seeing is that sometimes page requests are normal,
> sometimes pages load slow, and sometimes they don't load at all and the
> user gets a 'cannot find server' error message, and all occur in no
> particular order within a short period of time on the same user machine.
> Any suggestions for appropriate tools (or if anybody recognizes the
> symptoms) that work on win 2003 would be appreciated.

Moderately unhelpful comment: Running apached 1.3 on windows is not a
good idea.  The 2.x versions are vastly improved on this platform.

Slightly less unhelpful comment: Try mod_status and the server-status
handler to see what the server is up to.

Joshua.