Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/01 12:39:58 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.15.0, release candidate #0

-1
I have run the tests and a few smoke tests and everything is passing.

But unfortunately the Bookie is not logging anymore due to the switch to log4j2

I have tracked the problem here
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/3165

Not blocker for a release:
I should also note that upgrading downstream applications that run the
Bookie from Java code is quite hard
I tried to upgrade these projects:
- HerdDB: https://github.com/diennea/herddb/pull/784
- Pravega.io: https://github.com/pravega/pravega/pull/6669
Same problem: the BookieServer constructor changed, and the structure
of the Bookie changed a lot (when we switched to Bookie to be a
interface and created BookieImpl)
I didn't try to upgrade Apache Pulsar, but I guess the problem will be the same

I am also aware of other non-OSS projects that start the Bookie using
Java in order to run unit tests

It may make sense to create a BookieService utility class to bootstrap
the Bookie from Java as many projects do.

Enrico

Posted by "Gracia, Raul" <Ra...@Dell.com>.
Hi all,

We have upgraded Pravega to Bookkeeper 4.15.0 and the build passes, as well as our system tests (distributed setting): https://github.com/pravega/pravega/pull/6676

We will continue checking for regressions, but assuming the logging issue detected by Enrico is fixed on a new RC, things look good so far.

Thanks,
Raúl.

Internal Use - Confidential

Posted by Andrey Yegorov <an...@datastax.com>.
Hi,

--
Andrey Yegorov

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.15.0, release candidate #0

Posted by Hang Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrey,

Posted by Andrey Yegorov <an...@datastax.com>.

--