Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/15 19:35:52 UTC

M4?

Hi,
  Are we continuing our current 3 month release cycles for an M4
rollout in December? If so, would the code freeze date for this be mid
December? Are folks available around at this time? It would help to
decide this upfront.
 If we are, it may make sense to list what we want to achieve in this
cycle and post it on the Wiki, so that come release time, we can make
decisions based on completeness as well as stability.

Thanks,
Rana

Re: M4?

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
On 10/18/07, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> > Before deciding on a duration, or posting plans on the Wiki, it may be
> > worthwhile to list some of the items that we want to do before the
> > next rollout...The duration would possibly fall out of that? With some
> > of these, we could either stretch the duration to whatever is adequate
> > if we want the feature, or branch the tree if we need to some time
> > before release. Here are some DRLVM features that would be good to
> > finish.
> >
> > 1. Improve 64 bit support ( eg., supporting heapsizes upto native
> > limit instead of compressed heaps only ), and enabling better
> > performance and code generation for compressed heaps. This is a
> > largish item.
> >
> > 2. Cocurrent GC. Xiao Feng could add some estimate of dev work, but
> > it's not small.
> >
> > 3. The threading changes that Weldon and Pavel Rebiry have been doing.
> > Another biggish item.
> >
> > 4. Class unloading needs no new work, other than bug fixes as we find them.
> >
> > 5. Some more work on magic classes? How much?
> >
> > 6. Some bugs/subfeature needs that have been sitting in JIRA for a
> > while, eg., non local lock inflation to unblock applications like
> > Resin
> >
> > There are similarly, several classlibrary items, I am sure.
>
> I would suggest it is optimistic to attempt to stabilize three+ major
> pieces of work in a single iteration.

  They look like a lot, I agree :-) but 2 out of 3 have been in
development for some time. These are not new items as such. The 64 bit
heap support is.

> Any reason why class unloading should not be default on now?

Yes, no reason at all. HARMONY-4931 switches it on.

Re: M4?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: M4?

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/07, Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before deciding on a duration, or posting plans on the Wiki, it may be
> worthwhile to list some of the items that we want to do before the
> next rollout...The duration would possibly fall out of that? With some
> of these, we could either stretch the duration to whatever is adequate
> if we want the feature, or branch the tree if we need to some time
> before release. Here are some DRLVM features that would be good to
> finish.
>
> 1. Improve 64 bit support ( eg., supporting heapsizes upto native
> limit instead of compressed heaps only ), and enabling better
> performance and code generation for compressed heaps. This is a
> largish item.
>
> 2. Cocurrent GC. Xiao Feng could add some estimate of dev work, but
> it's not small.
>
> 3. The threading changes that Weldon and Pavel Rebiry have been doing.
> Another biggish item.

I am neutral on M4 date.  Of course we will try to get Thread State
Transition code committed before M4 code freeze.  If it does not
happen, I am happy to wait until M5.

Re: M4?

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/19, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:

> On 17 October 2007 at 18:11, "Rana Dasgupta" <rd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Before deciding on a duration, or posting plans on the Wiki, it may be
> > worthwhile to list some of the items that we want to do before the
> > next rollout...The duration would possibly fall out of that? With some
> > of these, we could either stretch the duration to whatever is adequate
> > if we want the feature, or branch the tree if we need to some time
> > before release. Here are some DRLVM features that would be good to
> > finish.
>
> I agree the items you mention would be good to finish but I don't agree
> that M4 should wait for any of them.
>
> I am strongly against any attempt to "stretch the duration" of
> milestones to allow time to complete features.  As you suggest, if
> features can't be completed (or disabled) for the creation of a stable
> milestone release then they can be developed on a branch.
>
> I think the length of the freeze this time around was a direct result of
> the long time between M2 and M3.  I'd be in favour of shorter milestone
> release cycles.
>
> I don't believe that having shorter release cycles leads to a greater
> percentage of time with the code base frozen (as I think Mikhail
> suggested in an earlier message on this thread).  It might do initially
> but in the long term it should mean that we remain closer to release
> readiness all the time.

Not quite sure about this. The only way to find the result is to do and see.

Longer release cycles mean that there is a tendency to let standards
> drop between releases and justify it by saying it will be fixed before
> the next release.  For example, poor test coverage (perhaps due to new
> code) when the reality is that having poor test coverage leads to "poor"
> code because no one will have the confidence to be able to dive in and
> (learn to) improve it[0].
>
> Weldon recently wrote:
>
>   we will try to get Thread State Transition code committed before M4
>   code freeze.  If it does not happen, I am happy to wait until M5.
>
> I like this attitude because it means we will get good code when it is
> ready rather than hurried code in time for a milestone.
>
> It is easier to encourage people to take this attitude - "wait until
> the next milestone" - if the time between milestone is well-defined and
> relatively short.  "If my code doesn't make it in, then at least I don't
> have to wait long for the next opportunity for integration/fame."

+1. If we make mile stone release schedule on a regular time scale but not a
regular feature scale,
IMO, people may tend to focus more on the code quality of the already
committed code but not to commit
new features in a hurry - which bring no great help to harmony's quality. On
the other hand,
we, developers will feel less pressure on event such as the mile stone. It
may further do some potential help.

Short release cycles are better for our users because they get simple

--
Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: M4?

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: M4?

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Re: M4?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: M4?

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/16, Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>:
> On 16/10/2007, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> > >   Are we continuing our current 3 month release cycles for an M4
> > > rollout in December? If so, would the code freeze date for this be mid
> > > December? Are folks available around at this time? It would help to
> > > decide this upfront.
> >
> > It's a good time to reflect on the M3 experiences, and see if/how we
> > want to tweak things.
> >
> > IMHO the code was frozen a little longer than ideal.  We considered
> > moving the stable code onto a branch and re-open HEAD, but that was
> > probably going to be too heavyweight for a milestone build.
> >
> > I've said before that shorter cycles are my preference.  I agree there
> > is a fixed overhead for testing, but I believe part of the extended M3
> > experience was due to the amount of new code that needed testing and
> > fixing, and the regressions that we needed to catch-up on, etc.
>

> I agree with Tim here.  There were over 400 bugs fixed / new features
> between M2 and M3, which seems like an awful lot of code to be testing all
> at once.  It also makes it harder to track down what code caused what error
> etc.  Given the size of our community and the rate at which code goes in I
> think shorter release cycles would make more sense.

It's interesting, but I've made for myself opposite conculsions from
the same facts :)

Since we have a long stabilizing period it's good that we have a
longer milestone
cycle and thus we have less %% of freeze time

As for M4, I think mid December or say, Friday Dec, 21 is OK (probably
we should try Dec 15-16 and have flexibility to extend it to Dec, 21)

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: M4?

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 16/10/2007, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> >   Are we continuing our current 3 month release cycles for an M4
> > rollout in December? If so, would the code freeze date for this be mid
> > December? Are folks available around at this time? It would help to
> > decide this upfront.
>
> It's a good time to reflect on the M3 experiences, and see if/how we
> want to tweak things.
>
> IMHO the code was frozen a little longer than ideal.  We considered
> moving the stable code onto a branch and re-open HEAD, but that was
> probably going to be too heavyweight for a milestone build.
>
> I've said before that shorter cycles are my preference.  I agree there
> is a fixed overhead for testing, but I believe part of the extended M3
> experience was due to the amount of new code that needed testing and
> fixing, and the regressions that we needed to catch-up on, etc.

I agree with Tim here.  There were over 400 bugs fixed / new features
between M2 and M3, which seems like an awful lot of code to be testing all
at once.  It also makes it harder to track down what code caused what error
etc.  Given the size of our community and the rate at which code goes in I
think shorter release cycles would make more sense.

As you say, three months from the M3 would put things right into the
> December/January holiday period for many people.  I suggest that we make
> M4 a short cycle, e.g. freeze at the end of November and release
> mid-December, rather than push things out further into the new year.
>
> This would not only be practical at this time of year, but will also
> give us a data point for the short cycle milestone plan, from which we
> can make a decision about M5 etc.

+1

>  If we are, it may make sense to list what we want to achieve in this
> > cycle and post it on the Wiki, so that come release time, we can make
> > decisions based on completeness as well as stability.
>
> Absolutely.  All the items that were deferred from M3, like class
> unloading, should be on that list.  How about we agree on a date then
> get a wiki page going?  (Our roadmap could do with a visit too ;-/ )
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Sian

Re: M4?