Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu> on 2017/05/01 21:14:57 UTC

Re: Please officially support RELEASE and LATEST (was: Re: dependency question)

Hi Charles & everyone,

> To prevent SNAPSHOT churn you can use a plugin like
> exists-maven-plugin
> (https://chonton.github.io/exists-maven-plugin/0.0.2/plugin-info.html
> <https://chonton.github.io/exists-maven-plugin/0.0.2/plugin-info.html>)
> to prevent re-releasing unchanged artifacts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think exists-maven-plugin is really useful for
some scenarios.

However, I want to comment that I think one should not use
exists-maven-plugin in this way to address a symptom—400 forbidden errors
when redeploying same version to remote repository—rather than the root
problem of having two commits with the same release version number. With
this scheme, any time you build a commit from the history including the
"install" phase (e.g., if testing something with "git bisect"), you may end
up overwriting the release version in your local repository cache with
something which is _not_ actually the release build of the component. So I
think it is dangerous to lean on exists-maven-plugin in this way. I
actually _want_ the build to fail in the CI at the deploy step, to give me
a heads up that there are two commits like this, so that the problem can be
fixed before even more commits are made at that same version number.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - https://loci.wisc.edu/software

Re: generate a POM with dependencies only?

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I would like to ask related question here

Is it possible to get dependency version?
I'm creating one big jar for all dependencies using assembly plugin, but
org.bouncycastle:bcprov-jdk15on cannot be repacked
So I need to manually track it's version :(
Would be great if I can get bcprov version and automatically set it using
xslt transformation

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com> wrote:

> Woohoo!
>
> Thanks Robert!
>
> -Richard

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: generate a POM with dependencies only?

Posted by Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com>.
Woohoo!

Thanks Robert!

-Richard