Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Vishwas Siravara <vs...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/20 21:46:12 UTC

Unable to set S3 like object storage for state backend.

Hi,
I am using flink version 1.7.2 , I am trying to use S3 like object
storage EMC ECS(
https://www.emc.com/techpubs/ecs/ecs_s3_supported_features-1.htm) .

I am using the flink-s3-fs-hadoop-1.7.2.jar file as a dependency for
s3 filesystem and I have placed it under the lib folder and is
available to flink in its class path.

My flink-conf.yaml looks like this :

s3.endpoint: SU73ECSG1P1d.***.COM:9021
s3.access-key: vdna_np_user
security.ssl.rest.enabled: false
web.timeout: 10000
s3.secret-key: J***

And my code for statebackend is like this :

env.setStateBackend(new FsStateBackend("s3://aip_featuretoolkit/checkpoints/"))

I have a bucket called aip_featuretoolkit in my s3 instance. I can
connect to s3 form s3 command line utilities. However I cannot
checkpoint with this configuration in flink. I get the following error
message

Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobExecutionException: Could not
retrieve JobResult.
at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.MiniCluster.executeJobBlocking(MiniCluster.java:643)
at org.apache.flink.streaming.api.environment.LocalStreamEnvironment.execute(LocalStreamEnvironment.java:123)
at org.apache.flink.streaming.api.scala.StreamExecutionEnvironment.execute(StreamExecutionEnvironment.scala:654)
at com.visa.flink.job.DruidStreamJob$.runJob(DruidStreamJob.scala:62)
at com.visa.flink.cli.CliFlinkDruid.run(CliFlinkDruid.scala:19)
at com.visa.flink.cli.Main$.main(Main.scala:22)
at com.visa.flink.cli.Main.main(Main.scala)
Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobSubmissionException:
Failed to submit job.
at org.apache.flink.runtime.dispatcher.Dispatcher.lambda$submitJob$2(Dispatcher.java:267)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniExceptionally(CompletableFuture.java:870)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniExceptionally.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:852)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postFire(CompletableFuture.java:561)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:739)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$Completion.run(CompletableFuture.java:442)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.AkkaRpcActor.handleRunAsync(AkkaRpcActor.java:332)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.AkkaRpcActor.handleRpcMessage(AkkaRpcActor.java:158)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.FencedAkkaRpcActor.handleRpcMessage(FencedAkkaRpcActor.java:70)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.AkkaRpcActor.onReceive(AkkaRpcActor.java:142)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.FencedAkkaRpcActor.onReceive(FencedAkkaRpcActor.java:40)
at akka.actor.UntypedActor$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(UntypedActor.scala:165)
at akka.actor.Actor$class.aroundReceive(Actor.scala:502)
at akka.actor.UntypedActor.aroundReceive(UntypedActor.scala:95)
at akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:526)
at akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:495)
at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:257)
at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:224)
at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:234)
at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)
at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)
at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobExecutionException: Could not set
up JobManager
at org.apache.flink.util.function.CheckedSupplier.lambda$unchecked$0(CheckedSupplier.java:36)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(CompletableFuture.java:1590)
at akka.dispatch.TaskInvocation.run(AbstractDispatcher.scala:39)
at akka.dispatch.ForkJoinExecutorConfigurator$AkkaForkJoinTask.exec(AbstractDispatcher.scala:415)
... 4 more
Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobExecutionException:
Could not set up JobManager
at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobManagerRunner.<init>(JobManagerRunner.java:176)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.dispatcher.Dispatcher$DefaultJobManagerRunnerFactory.createJobManagerRunner(Dispatcher.java:1058)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.dispatcher.Dispatcher.lambda$createJobManagerRunner$5(Dispatcher.java:308)
at org.apache.flink.util.function.CheckedSupplier.lambda$unchecked$0(CheckedSupplier.java:34)
... 7 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to start checkpoint ID
counter: null uri host. This can be caused by unencoded / in the
password string
at org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator.<init>(CheckpointCoordinator.java:255)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.executiongraph.ExecutionGraph.enableCheckpointing(ExecutionGraph.java:498)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.executiongraph.ExecutionGraphBuilder.buildGraph(ExecutionGraphBuilder.java:345)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.executiongraph.ExecutionGraphBuilder.buildGraph(ExecutionGraphBuilder.java:100)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster.createExecutionGraph(JobMaster.java:1166)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster.createAndRestoreExecutionGraph(JobMaster.java:1146)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster.<init>(JobMaster.java:296)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobManagerRunner.<init>(JobManagerRunner.java:157)
... 10 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: null uri host. This can be caused by
unencoded / in the password string
at org.apache.flink.fs.s3.common.AbstractS3FileSystemFactory.create(AbstractS3FileSystemFactory.java:159)
at org.apache.flink.core.fs.FileSystem.getUnguardedFileSystem(FileSystem.java:395)
at org.apache.flink.core.fs.FileSystem.get(FileSystem.java:318)
at org.apache.flink.core.fs.Path.getFileSystem(Path.java:298)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.state.filesystem.FsCheckpointStorage.<init>(FsCheckpointStorage.java:58)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.state.filesystem.FsStateBackend.createCheckpointStorage(FsStateBackend.java:444)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator.<init>(CheckpointCoordinator.java:249)
... 17 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: null uri host. This can be
caused by unencoded / in the password string
at java.util.Objects.requireNonNull(Objects.java:228)
at org.apache.flink.fs.shaded.hadoop3.org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3native.S3xLoginHelper.buildFSURI(S3xLoginHelper.java:69)
at org.apache.flink.fs.shaded.hadoop3.org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.setUri(S3AFileSystem.java:467)
at org.apache.flink.fs.shaded.hadoop3.org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.initialize(S3AFileSystem.java:234)
at org.apache.flink.fs.s3.common.AbstractS3FileSystemFactory.create(AbstractS3FileSystemFactory.java:124)
... 23 more

It seems like the way I setup the state backed causes this exception ie.

env.setStateBackend(new FsStateBackend("s3://aip_featuretoolkit/checkpoints/"))

How can I resolve this issue, are S3 like object stores supported by 1.7.2 ?

Thanks,
Vishwas

Re: Unable to set S3 like object storage for state backend.

Posted by Vishwas Siravara <vs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ken,
Thanks for reaching out, I created a compliant bucket with name
aip-featuretoolkit. I now get the exception "Unable to execute HTTP
request: aip-featuretoolkit.SU73ECSG1P1d.***.COM: Name or service not
known" from org.apache.flink.fs.shaded.hadoop3.org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.Invoker.class
 line 56. Here is my config from flink-conf.yaml file.

s3.endpoint: SU73ECSG1P1d.***.COM
s3.access-key: vdna_np_user
security.ssl.rest.enabled: false
web.timeout: 10000
s3.secret-key: J***

I have not supplied the port in the config file. Does it internally
use 9021 ? Also I am running my application as a different user not
what is specified in s3.access-key. Does that matter ?

Thanks,
Vishwas

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Vishwas,

It might be that you’ve got a legacy bucket name (“aip_featuretoolkit”), as AWS no longer allows bucket names to contain an underscore <https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/BucketRestrictions.html>.