Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com> on 2007/07/14 19:58:50 UTC

announce: urlx utility for spamassassin

Most systems that I'm familiar with nowadays have the users put spam
emails that manage to get past the filters into a special folder
(directory) so they can be examined, in order to make the spam filter
system more effective. In pursuit of that Idea, I've written urlx.

Urlx is designed to extract urls, both clear and obfusticated, from
those spam emails and convert them into SpamAssassin rules
automatically (Note: When I say automatic, I still expect a human to
apply a sanity check somewhere).

Urlx is not yet released to the general public, but if you're
interested in helping test, please drop me an email.

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.

Re: announce: urlx utility for spamassassin

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
Quoting Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com>:

> Most systems that I'm familiar with nowadays have the users put spam
> emails that manage to get past the filters into a special folder
> (directory) so they can be examined, in order to make the spam filter
> system more effective. In pursuit of that Idea, I've written urlx.
>
> Urlx is designed to extract urls, both clear and obfusticated, from
> those spam emails and convert them into SpamAssassin rules
> automatically (Note: When I say automatic, I still expect a human to
> apply a sanity check somewhere).
>
> Urlx is not yet released to the general public, but if you're
> interested in helping test, please drop me an email.

Have you seen:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/tags/spamassassin_current_release_3.2.x/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/URIDNSBL.pm
  http://www.surbl.org/

Making rulesets of URLs won't scale very well.   See:

  http://www.sa-blacklist.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/

sa-blacklist is so large as to be unusable in many cases.  Instead the data are
now part of ws.surbl.org:

  http://www.surbl.org/lists.html#ws

Jeff C.