Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Martz <PM...@teltone.com> on 2002/12/17 01:07:25 UTC

Tomcat setup question.

Ok I have tomcat all installed and serving up web pages nicely. I am able to
access everything ok so far. The problem: I have installed J2SDK and tomcat
both and set the appropriate environmental variables (I believe). I am able
to compile java classes that contain "standard" java imports (i.e.
java.util, java.text, etc) just fine, however when I want to compile
anything that includes the java.servlet  package, it is failing to find the
package. I have noted that if I go into the
Tomcat/webapps/examples/web-inf/classes directory and attempt to compile any
of the classes that come with Tomcat by default, they ALSO fail, telling me
they cannot find the javax.servlet package.

I have also noticed that the Tomcat install came with a great deal of .jar
files, several of which seem to include the classes that I am looking for.
So do I need to add an environmental variable to let my compiler find these?
Or do I just need to move the .jar files to the right location? How do I
know which .jar files are the correct ones to use (as I mentioned, there are
a number of them that seem to have what I'm looking for)?

Thanks for any help!

Patrick

Tomcat setup troubles

Posted by Ines Robbers <ro...@comprehend.de>.
Hello again,

Sorry to bother you with these simple things but could someone tell me
whether this is correct:

I tried to set up the environment variable like this:

CATALINA_HOME    C:\Programme\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1

I put it into both the user variables and system variables. Is this
correct?

Also I set a JAVA_HOME variable like this:

JAVA_HOME     C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin

The problem is that when I type in the Prompt field I get the error
message: JAVA_HOME variable is not defined.
Also a window popps up saying: "-djava.endorse=" could not be found...

Tomcat is installed under C:\Programme\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
The JavaEngine under C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01

I'd appreciate any hint how I could get Tomcat to work!!

Many thanks

Ines

Re: Tomcat setup question.

Posted by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@makmal.net>.

> So do I need to add an environmental variable to let my compiler find these?
> Or do I just need to move the .jar files to the right location? How do I
> know which .jar files are the correct ones to use (as I mentioned, there are
> a number of them that seem to have what I'm looking for)?

You can do any of the steps you have suggested yourself or you could
also just tell the compiler where to find your jars. javac -classpath
would do the trick

Which Tomcat to install

Posted by Ines Robbers <ro...@comprehend.de>.
Hello list!

I'm a bit confused: Using WindowsXP, which files am I supposed to
download on
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.12/bin/
?

I installed jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12.exe, 23-Sep-2002 03:26  7.6M  but it
doesn't work. I saw that some files end with .sh and am now wondering
whether that is not rather for Linux or was it Unix? Sorry, am just
beginning to get a grasp...

Would be grateful if someone could point out to me which Tomcat-version
I should use (especially in connection with Cocoon).

Many thanks!!!

Ines