Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com> on 2012/12/06 17:55:03 UTC

Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Hi all,

Hadoop have different file system(HDFS) and Cassandra have different file system(CFS).

As Hadoop have great Eco-System (Hive{Dataware House}, Hbase{Data Base} n etc..) and Cassandra(Database) it self providing its own file system

Although  we can run Hadoop's Ecosystem on Cassandra (If I am right ? {like pig and hive})

Hadoop have single point of Failure but Cassandra doesn't..

Please put some light on both of these where Hadoop overtakes Cassandra an where Cassandra.

And in which use cases we go for any them.

Thanks & Regards
Yogesh Kumar

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks a lot guys  :-)

Regards
Yogesh Kumar

From: anilgupta84@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:31:16 -0800
Subject: Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Hi Yogesh,
As others have said Hadoop vs Cassandra is not a fair comparison. Although, HBase vs Cassandra is a fair comparison. You can have a look at this comparison: http://bigdatanoob.blogspot.com/2012/11/hbase-vs-cassandra.html

HTH,
Anil Gupta

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM, yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Hadoop have different file system(HDFS) and Cassandra have different file

> system(CFS).

> As Hadoop have great Eco-System (Hive{Dataware House}, Hbase{Data Base} n

> etc..) and Cassandra(Database) it self providing its own file system

> Although  we can run Hadoop's Ecosystem on Cassandra (If I am right ? {like

> pig and hive})

> Hadoop have single point of Failure but Cassandra doesn't..

> Please put some light on both of these where Hadoop overtakes Cassandra an

> where Cassandra.

> And in which use cases we go for any them.

As Harsh commented, HDFS doesn't have a single point of failure any more.

Hadoop and Cassandara are not really competitors.  You can run Hadoop

on top of Cassandra if you want.

It's possible to compare Cassandra and HBase, and some people have

done so.  In general, I've been told that Cassandra is a better match

for situations where you write more than you read, and you don't care

about data consistency.  But that might be a better question for the

HBase and/or Cassandra mailing lists.

cheers,

Colin

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks a lot guys  :-)

Regards
Yogesh Kumar

From: anilgupta84@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:31:16 -0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks a lot guys  :-)

Regards
Yogesh Kumar

From: anilgupta84@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:31:16 -0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks a lot guys  :-)

Regards
Yogesh Kumar

From: anilgupta84@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:31:16 -0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yogesh,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yogesh,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yogesh,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yogesh,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks Harsh :-)

Thanks for your reply...   Please do put some light on other points.

Thanks & Regards
Yogesh Kumar

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks Harsh :-)

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks Harsh :-)

RE: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by yogesh dhari <yo...@live.com>.
Thanks Harsh :-)

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Yogesh,

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Re: Hadoop V/S Cassandra

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On 12/06/2012 11:55 AM, yogesh dhari wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hadoop have different file system(HDFS) and Cassandra have different
> file system(CFS).
>
> As Hadoop have great Eco-System (Hive{Dataware House}, Hbase{Data
> Base} n etc..) and Cassandra(Database) it self providing its own file
> system
>
> Although  we can run Hadoop's Ecosystem on Cassandra (If I am right ?
> {like pig and hive})
>
> Hadoop have single point of Failure but Cassandra doesn't..
There are two projects in Hadoop working to avoid SPOF called HDFS HA
and HDFS Federation.
There is a new branch called YARN which include all this.

> Please put some light on both of these where Hadoop overtakes
> Cassandra an where Cassandra.
I think a more fair comparison is with HBase, not with Hadoop.
Look here
http://horicky.blogspot.com/2010/10/bigtable-model-with-cassandra-and-hbase.html

--

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda