Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by GUILBERT Nicolas SIReS <ni...@francetelecom.com> on 2001/12/18 16:16:09 UTC

Performance difference between Unix and PC

Who can explain the huge performance difference we experience between
using FOP on a NT server or a PC on one side, or on a unix platform on
the other side.

Is it normal ? Is FOP built to run on PC or NT ? As it is a java
library, it is supposed to work on all platform ?

Thanks.
Nicolas

Re: Performance difference between Unix and PC

Posted by Cyril Rognon <cr...@objectiva.fr>.
Java performance has never been the same on Unix or NT. It depends on the
JVM you are using.

There have been several comparison of JVM on various OS. I don't remember
where it was nor who did it but IBM was a good choice under UNIX systems.

Hope it helps

Cyril

Posted by Jens Eckert <j....@t-online.net>.
Hi Guilbert,

Posted by Venu Reddy <vr...@intacct.com>.
I got much better performance on a PC running NT as compared to
Linux running on a much better machine. I was able to
get better performance on Linux using IBM's java engine
as opposed to Sun's engine.

Hope this helps.

Venu Reddy.